Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944-951 swap finished!runs hot tho!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 08:20 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944-951 swap finished!runs hot tho!

Ok the 951 motor is in. I have no had a chance to open her up yet because she runs hot and i have not put a muffler on and so on.

This is what happened, when i went to bleed it, i did it on an incline and i opened up the bleeder screw untill no more bubbles came out. Once it was only coolant coming out i closed it and went for a drive. It ran a little hot. i came back and tried to bleed it some more but nothing. After running it for a while it would get very hot and the fans would turn on as normal but they wouldn't be able to cool the car enough so that they would turn off, the heater gauge stayed just below the last white line, usually it would reach the last line, fans would kick in and it would go down to the 2nd white line and the fans would turn off. if i turn it off after it gets hot and open the bleeder screw a lot of air comes out, the last time i did it water AND air came out. Its almost like its not circulating and the air pressure is just building up in there. When the fans turned on last time i opened the screw and NOTHING came out, which was wierd.

thats about all i can think of...if i get any more symptoms i'll let you guys know but i'm stumped, anyone have ideas?
Old 08-19-2003, 09:02 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

ok i just went out and turned the car on. I took the timing belt cover off to see what was goign on. On the inside of the cover right where the waterpump pulley is there was a silver mark, as if it was hiting the cover and spinning on it. Dont think that would cause that problem.

Anyway i opened up the bleed screw and just water was pouring out, then i reved it and some bubbles started coming out. so i kept it open, after a couple minutes, nothing came out, no air and no water, is that wierd? also when i turned it off it stopped doing that thing where a ton of air would come out, nothing came out of the bleeder screw when i opened it after i turned the car off.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:08 PM
jason_87924s
Instructor

Andre, Can't help other than the fact that it sounds as though you may have a bad t-stat....

BTW...were you able to get the clutch pics? You can e-mail them to jwchance@hotmail.com
Old 08-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

t-stat is new, and yea i got them just trying to upload now
Old 08-19-2003, 09:28 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're idling and you rev it does the temp come down any? Maybe the timing belt is slipping on the water pump. OR a bad waterpump?

Eurospeed951 had this problem...
Old 08-19-2003, 10:00 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

what did it end up being for him?
Old 08-19-2003, 10:19 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

If there are no obvious leaks and the t-stat is new, suspect the lowly radiator (reservoir) cap............
Old 08-19-2003, 10:25 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Wade B
If there are no obvious leaks and the t-stat is new, suspect the lowly radiator (reservoir) cap............
Why would that be a problem? What does a bad cap cause? (I'm having similiar hot running issues, and I've noticed some leakage out my cap. I think I'm alittle overfilled though.)
Old 08-19-2003, 10:34 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Ken
Why would that be a problem? What does a bad cap cause? (I'm having similiar hot running issues, and I've noticed some leakage out my cap. I think I'm alittle overfilled though.)
i dont' think it should ever come out the cap. there's a little overflow hose for that. the cooling system is supposed to be under pressure and a bad cap would vent that pressure.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:59 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

The boiling point of water is 220F, unless it is pressurized, and that moves the temperature of boiling upwards. Your cooling system depends on proper coolant mixture and pressurization to help it move that temp up and to be efficient. If your cap leaks you lose pressure. Several people have posted here recently about coolant system problems that have come down to the cap (right Pete?). It is a cheap "chance" if you are going trial and error.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:04 AM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Cool, thanks. I'll definately give that a try.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:32 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I had a cap problem on my old car. It wasn't holding pressure and the car ran hot. I ponied up $11 for a OEM Porsche cap and that fixed it.

A lot of steam coming out of the bleeder could be a low coolant level. Keep adding water until the entire system is full. My S2 did that (steam)after I replaced the water pump and I was able to get almost another gallon into it.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:58 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Leaking heater core. Hows the passenge compartment floor?
Old 08-20-2003, 01:15 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

How about the higher temp fan switch for an NA on a turbo motor, I noticed that on my swap. The turbo temp switch is a lower temp than the NA.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:42 AM
Andre
Burning Brakes

ok well it steams and all but what worries me is that sometimes nothign comes out of the bleeder screw, that shouldn't happen right?i also think the cap is crap but i'll just grab the one from my na and put it on there but i really doubt that is going to help that much.

passanger compartment is fine, no leaks. it has to be in the engine, not radiator not inside the car, my NA ran cooler.

im starting to sway towards the waterpump, which is going to suck, right when i got the motor in, damn....

Quick Reply: 944-951 swap finished!runs hot tho!