Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sell it, or daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003 | 03:46 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question Sell it, or daily driver

I've got an excellent 85.5 NA 944 with less than 55k miles on it. Excellent reliability because of good maintenance by PO's and recent maintenance by me (water pump, t-belt, motor mounts, etc.) Original paint and interior, both in excellent condition (not even any dash cracks!)

But I have too many vehicles. I am looking to possibly sell my Ford truck, and use the 944 as a daily commuter. I'm having trouble doing this as the 944 is in such great shape, and has such low mileage. I care so much about it that I don't want to risk it in daily commute traffic. I kind of feel that I might be better off selling the current 944 and getting one which I care less about to use as a daily commuter.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-18-2003 | 03:54 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Make sure your insurance policy covers the value of the car and drive it. If anything happens to it you can get enough to replace it with another real good 944.
It's better to drive it than let it sit. Keep up on the maintenance and it will stay in great shape.
Old 08-18-2003 | 05:36 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

yea sell it to me
Old 08-18-2003 | 09:11 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

They make nice daily drivers. I've been doing so for almost 4 years now. I take it to work, airport, camping with the scouts, etc. Use = Wear and Tear. There's just no getting around it. And, can you think of another car you would rather be in each day when you commute. Buy some books on tape or CD, jump in and go.
Old 08-18-2003 | 09:15 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

I kinda feel bad daily driviing my S, but its such a great car... I love it to death, just keep up your NA and it will be a great Daily Driver!!!
Old 08-19-2003 | 12:51 AM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input guys. It is just so crazy up here that I am less worried about the miles, and more about the yahoos in their dime-a-dozen bimmers, yacking on their cell phones and drinking their Starbucks. These a$$clowns don't really give a damn about what is going on around them as they think they are all God's gift to the Silicon Valley, and people should just stay out of their way. I just don't know if I could control myself if one of them spilled their Starbucks and ran into me.

Tom
Old 08-19-2003 | 12:55 AM
tod84944
Drifting

Drive it. I buy 944 that are none running and try to bring them back to life. Most of the problems they have are from sitting. I have had to spend tons of time and money on cars that ran great when parked, then when the owners deicided to pull them out of the garage 3 yrs later, they don't run.
Old 08-19-2003 | 01:27 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

If the paint is also close to perfect on it, I would sell the car. Two months os daily driving, at least on Ohio roads, and you are going to be full of pock marks. Why ruin a perfectly good finish and cost yourself $3-5K for a paint job to return it to how it is now. Id sell it and get a good solid well cared for 944 you dont care as much about keeping "anally beautiful".

Now if the current car already has a paint job thats got enough blemishes to write home about, adding more probably wont adversely affect the value. So you might as well drive it.

I know these cars need to be driven, but I also hate seeing a well preserved example ruined from daily driving so others who rarely get to see such a well preserved one miss the opportunity as well. Only you can determine if the car has more value as a weekender or if you decide to run it daily amid the acid rain, potholes, mud, gravel, and road tar.
Old 08-19-2003 | 08:46 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Drive it. Use it. Take care of it. A properly maintained Porsche will last a long time and look good doing it. The attached photo is of my 944 AFTER five years of ownership and over 150k miles. I drove it every day, including Indiana and Ohio winters. I just washed it regularly...those drive-in-hose-off kind of car wash places are a godsend in the winter. It ended up having a few stone chips here and there, but overall it looked as good when I sold it at 150k as it did when I bought it at 43k. Kept up with the mechanicals (over $13k in five years) and it was a great car for me.

..and don't worry about the a-clowns. you can't do anything about them no matter what you drive...

Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2003 | 09:13 AM
nineeagles
Pro

At least if you are driving a Porsche around these A$$CLOWNS you have a fantastic handling car that can out maneuver them....I guess that I am a little apprehensive when I drive my car (mostly on weekends) and it is an older 79 924 with lots of stone chips and a few dings, paint is faded on the roof and I still am leary about getting hit by a clown driver....of course if you have insurance on it you can recoop the loss but the car would not be the same after a bender......at least these cars are easy to come by so I might even buy another one.....

Quick Reply: Sell it, or daily driver