Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water pump job requirements?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003 | 12:26 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Default water pump job requirements?

hey guys (and gals)
i have a significant coolant leak that i think is coming from around the water pump. i hope to try and remove the water pump soon but would like to know from those of you that have removed the water pump...what sort of replaceable parts are in there that would potentially cause a coolant leak that i need to replace? the only thing i see on the porsche tsm is a gasket that appears to be between the pump and the block. any other suggestions?
Old 08-18-2003 | 12:53 AM
emilysgranny
Pro

Joe ; make sure you check the hose first before you blame the pump. If you see water and believe it is the pump ,pull the cover off and see if the front seal is leaking. Don't forget to tap the starter and rotate the pump a little at a time and let it alone for a little while to see if it leeks. This a sign that the bearing in the pump is bad and the seal is damaged. This is the most common cause of a leak in that area. Very few gaskets go bad. Don't forget the rest of the job while you are in there. It is good insurance to do the rollers and all the seals and 0 rings . Good luck.
Old 08-18-2003 | 02:30 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

Joe.

Look into tightening the water pump bolts (after checking the hoses like emil said)

New waterpump means you should replace the timing belt, balance belt rollers et al. Basically it's a timing belt job with the addition of a water pump. Not to be taken lightly.
Old 08-18-2003 | 10:53 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

thanks guys. unfortunately all the rollers and belts are new - within the last 500 miles. i was unfortunate enough to have a minor front end wreck which damaged the radiator and cooling system within 500 miles of the new belts, and now i have a leak from that area. that's what i'm trying to trace down. but it does appear that i'll have to entirely replace the water pump and seals from your responses

Quick Reply: water pump job requirements?