Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

balance collar NOT fully seated - seeking help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 07:08 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts
Default balance collar NOT fully seated - seeking help

first let me say...

upper balance shaft collar, onion skin seal and seal went on without issue. the lower balance shaft didn't go as smoothly. i found the onion skin IN the passage way of the collar and the collar was more difficult to remove. the new collar went on, but it was stiffer than the upper. the problem now is i'm unable to get it any further, but it's not past the keyway slot! it's basically to the point where the balance shaft bottoms out in it's travel and the collar is not fully seated. i need the balance shaft to be 'pulled out' and still be able to push the collar on. i'd tried various bolt/pry bar/socket/push/pull options, but nothing is getting it any further. who has an idea on how to get this to seat further on the balance shaft. HUGELY appreciate all the help i can get. owning this car is far from fun at the moment.

thanks!!
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

First I'd try to get the collar off and then use a little file or honing stone to clean up the edge of the key way slot... If you force the collar on, you'll struggle to get it off next time.

If you do want to just force it on, put on the pulley without the key way, and put the bolt in and draw it up. That will push the collar while pulling the shaft. Then take the pulley off and install the key.

Quick Reply: balance collar NOT fully seated - seeking help