Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intermittent front vibration with my 951

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 10:22 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent front vibration with my 951

have searched without finding an answer so here goes: I have an intermittent vibration that doesn't necessarily seem to be related to speed but it is most noticeable above 50 mph. It started a couple of weeks ago. it is in the front end and I can feel it in the steering wheel and in my feet. sort of feels like driving on a mildly grated road. might be there on the way to work, might not happen for a couple of days. I thought maybe the tires have flat spots that go in and out of sync making it worse. no vibration during braking. new sway bar bushings, other front end rubber looks ok. there might be a little play in my ball joints. Any ideas of what might cause this other than tires? can bas ball joints cause an intermittent problem like this?
Old 09-30-2014, 11:28 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be dragging caliper. Pull over next time it happens and see if one rotor is much hotter than the other (touch them real quickly or you'll hurt yourself).
Old 10-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Check your wheel bearings. Although you say no vibration under braking - that is where I will notice it most.

Bad ball joints are another possibility as are tire rods (both inner or outer).

You can usually isolate whether it is steering or bearing related by grabbing the front tire at 3 and 9 and trying to force steering motion. Slop detected will be in the tie rods. Bearing slop is more noticable at 12 and 6 (usually need to get the wheels off the ground to get a hand at 6:00).

Ball joints are more difficult to check. A pry bar, a jack (after putting the front up, on jack stands) and a second set of eyes are the best tools for this job. You need to load the front suspension slightly (with the jack) while the car is supported in front by jack stands. Have an assistant use a pry bar to try and get movement between the steering knuckle and the lower control arm. This is not easy, but any slop observed will indicate a worn ball joint.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by gtroth
Could be dragging caliper. Pull over next time it happens and see if one rotor is much hotter than the other (touch them real quickly or you'll hurt yourself).
Or get a cheap infrared temperature gun from Harbor Freight and check temps without risk of burning your fingers. These little goodies are really handy for diagnosing brake problems (as well as cooling systems).
Old 10-01-2014, 04:04 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I had similar issue years ago and it was traced to separating cord on a tire. Check the age of the tires and see if they're beyond 5 or 6 years. Or, have a tire store spin them to see if they're faulty. It'll show up real quick when they do.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:56 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
I had similar issue years ago and it was traced to separating cord on a tire.
Could very well be the case...BTDT.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:31 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

I wouldn't rule out a loose balance belt either. You feel that through the steering and floor if it's skipped a tooth or two. Definitely worth a look inside the cover.

Quick Reply: intermittent front vibration with my 951