Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy cow 89 944 turbo 24k miles $35k!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 01:18 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a driver, weekend toy, this is probably a good deal.

If you want a low mileage pristine example for a collection, personally museum, etc, that is 100% original then the OP car is what you want of these choices.

Super low mile, totally original cars are few and far between and will command a high price for that.

These two examples are in different classes. The mileage DIFFERENCE between the two cars is more than the total miles on the OP car!!
I agree and it's what I've said, that op car is only good as a garage queen. If you buy it to actually drive, put average milage on it over 3 years, it would now be worth half of what you paid for it. A 16k loss over 3 years on a 20+ year old car is unacceptable for most people here.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:50 PM
oldjammer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Another interesting thread.
IMO most people's logic seems right on about this.
Yes, there are noticeably less posters compared to 5-10 years ago!
When/where will it be listed?
Old 09-28-2014, 07:55 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjammer
Another interesting thread.
IMO most people's logic seems right on about this.
Yes, there are noticeably less posters compared to 5-10 years ago!
When/where will it be listed?
I'm not sure when or if he will list it by the traditional sense...sounds like it will be sent out to be detailed this week and then pics will be taken. I think he might keep it private listing and send pics out to his contacts to see if there is interested parties without listing it in the normal places....but who knows he is older so I don't think he wants to go through fielding calls over next couple of weeks. He might consign car also so that it would be available to see and show when needed.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's really too bad that OD has such a long standing track record of being a massive drag on this forum and spewing utter crap!

....otherwise I might have considered reading that last long winded post.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:06 PM
CChung
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAGK944
I agree and it's what I've said, that op car is only good as a garage queen. If you buy it to actually drive, put average milage on it over 3 years, it would now be worth half of what you paid for it. A 16k loss over 3 years on a 20+ year old car is unacceptable for most people here.

If you go to KBB or Edmunds and punch in year and miles they'll say the car is worth $5-6K! So it'll be hard to buy a car for $35K knowing dealers or Carmax will give you perhaps a quarter of what you bought it for. I guess, though, this is a special, low mile, flawless example for someone to add to their car collection so you can't go by what KBB or Edmunds say. Personally, I would be driving this car on the weekends so I wouldn't mind paying half the price for one with more miles and well maintained.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:33 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Check nada, you will see a different story.

Kbb and edmunds said my volvo was worth $500, I just sold it for 6 x that amount and the buyer got a good deal.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:39 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CChung
If you go to KBB or Edmunds and punch in year and miles they'll say the car is worth $5-6K! So it'll be hard to buy a car for $35K knowing dealers or Carmax will give you perhaps a quarter of what you bought it for. I guess, though, this is a special, low mile, flawless example for someone to add to their car collection so you can't go by what KBB or Edmunds say. Personally, I would be driving this car on the weekends so I wouldn't mind paying half the price for one with more miles and well maintained.
Unfortunately value guides are just that ...guides. When it comes down to it KBB, NADA, etc aren't writing a check for the car. Also for some reason I don't think the future owner of this 944 will drive into a carmax to sell this car, unless of course they are desperate for money quickly?

Quick Reply: Holy cow 89 944 turbo 24k miles $35k!!!