Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy cow 89 944 turbo 24k miles $35k!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 11:34 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
LOL... Would you take that pretty car out to dinner first before getting to the dirty work
Not buy the car, but the weed/crack some of the people posting here are smoking
Old 09-27-2014, 11:56 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I know it's been debated before but I guess fast forwarding to make it relevant today, is a 89 turbo despite being identical to 88 turbo s other than the "s" make it worth a similar amount or is there a premium that people pay for "s" which wouldn't make sense unless I guess maybe the special rose silver color of 88
Old 09-27-2014, 02:05 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Of, i just don't understand why you are here! All you ever do is bash these cars for absolutely no reason. I have owned my car for over 11 years and been around them for come near 20 years. They are not the most reliable car ever made, however with care taken they will last for a long time and are still a great car.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
OD, i just don't understand why you are here! All you ever do is bash these cars for absolutely no reason. I have owned my car for over 11 years and been around them for come near 20 years. They are not the most reliable car ever made, however with care taken they will last for a long time and are still a great car.
X944 guy is a troll and a drag on these forums!!
Old 09-27-2014, 03:04 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Of, i just don't understand why you are here! All you ever do is bash these cars for absolutely no reason. I have owned my car for over 11 years and been around them for come near 20 years. They are not the most reliable car ever made, however with care taken they will last for a long time and are still a great car.
He's obviously an 11 year old that sits at home!? He obviously doesn't work because with his posting count he must do nothing other than make stupid comments on RL all day?
Old 09-27-2014, 04:22 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Yess, pristine examples deserve top dollar, and they are starting to get more of it. However, I think the design of the 944 is somewhat mellow, although highly classic, so I wonder how that affects its desirability.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:31 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

We are a stupid community. Here is a car that will aid in driving the value of our cars up, and all we do is bitch about how it is too high of a price. Idiots. Cheer the dude on to get every damn penny of $35k!! I very much enjoy watching the value of something I drive increase. Complaining about such an increase is as stupid as owning APPL and complaining when it goes up.

New subject. Sheesh...
Old 09-27-2014, 05:18 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.
We are a stupid community. Here is a car that will aid in driving the value of our cars up, and all we do is bitch about how it is too high of a price. Idiots. Cheer the dude on to get every damn penny of $35k!! I very much enjoy watching the value of something I drive increase. Complaining about such an increase is as stupid as owning APPL and complaining when it goes up.

New subject. Sheesh...
Agreed 1000%
As owners of these cars, we represent half of the 944 market (we are sellers that is).
If we dont realize the value of these cars, who will?
Old 09-27-2014, 05:48 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Hey I also hope that he gets what he wants...it is the NICEST 944 turbo I have ever laid eyes on condition wise and I have mellowed out a bit on my "getting him back to earth" comment in regards to asking price after I drove it. This car deserves what he is asking for it? I have no idea if the climate controlled nature of his storage was responsible for all of it but the suspension and condition of every molding, and all rubber is almost new (both pliable and new) and no moldings are dry or have been replaced!. If you ever wanted to know what a 1989 944 Turbo drove like when it was new then this is the car because I was shocked at how new it felt even with 24k miles on it. I almost think he should chance this at a auction because I think if people can see it they would appreciate how nice it is. He still has an original boxed set of the Porsche floor mats sitting in trunk! For the love of god I hope he sells it quick because I need it out of my mind ha ha!
Old 09-27-2014, 09:56 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt O.

New subject. Sheesh...
+1

Wait I sold mine and won't be able to get a replacement until the baby is in a forward facing seat. So F this car. Worth like 5k max. :-)
Old 09-28-2014, 09:04 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

I would rather buy this one with double the mileage at half the price. Everything done, ready to enjoy and the price realistically represents what a good 951 is fetching. Leave the garage queen for some collector to overpay and store away in his garage for another 20 years.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/4684710458.html

No affiliation.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:54 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MAGK944
I would rather buy this one with double the mileage at half the price. Everything done, ready to enjoy and the price realistically represents what a good 951 is fetching. Leave the garage queen for some collector to overpay and store away in his garage for another 20 years.

No affiliation.
Love the black ext with black fuchs.......only thing missing is black interior
Old 09-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944

No affiliation.
It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a driver, weekend toy, this is probably a good deal.

If you want a low mileage pristine example for a collection, personally museum, etc, that is 100% original then the OP car is what you want of these choices.

Super low mile, totally original cars are few and far between and will command a high price for that.

These two examples are in different classes. The mileage DIFFERENCE between the two cars is more than the total miles on the OP car!!
Old 09-28-2014, 12:31 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the '86 in the op is a nice car. I'm slightly (only) hard on it for 3 reasons....

1. the price after considering reasons #2 and #3.

2. the veiled temptation not to daily drive a *marginally collectable car that should be driven and enjoyed like you stole it.
*at a minimum, should be a 'Turbo S,' 'Silver Rose,' or 'Turbo Cup.'

3. it will not appreciate in the near or for that matter, the long term.
in fact, quite the contrary....it will be dealt a very hard blow in the coming ice age.

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...ld-cars-2.html

Originally Posted by odurandina
I've been attempting to drive the spike home on people's conventional thinking about collectable cars for several years / that the demographics of collectors and car collecting is getting us closer and closer to THE BIG CRASH.... you can be as sure of this as the sun rises tomorrow, (and this fact should grow to be ever-present in our minds).

the dark ages are coming;

sell your cars from 1900-62..... but, keep your old Ferrari's, Porsches, Maserati's, E-Types, etc....

most of our Porsches represent just-just-for-fun ownership....

with the exception of air-cooled 911s, limited production, and the really old stuff.... everything's depreciating.

American cars from '63~74 are still good for fun--but they're all but done appreciating.....

a few years ago you could pick up 911s from the '80s and early '90s relatively cheap.

they were the last (0.5~1.5: 1) money in/money out Porsches..... but in the last few years, prices have gone to Pluto..... and save for a few sellers not paying attention, or the horse-house-husband died, the late air-cooled 911s can only be obtained at a premium, thus making them significantly more risky imo.

so why am I even mentioning this.... and how can I even be somewhat down on premium 911s?

because the conversation shouldn't stray too far from used cars and collector demographics.

it is in this context that I see most cars as high-depreciation investments in the near to long term.....

as mentioned above,

the baby-boomers are getting old. they've already begun downsizing their car collections;

but, their virtual, complete departure is sure. and their departure from the market WILL CRASH IT.

the limp-wristed/junior no-workie/video game/**** junkie generation are outnumbered 3 or 4:1 vs the numbers of the i-inherited-the-richest-country-ever-from-the-war-generation/ex-hippie/lately been mostly hard-working/stock-market watching/car-collecting baby-boomers.

in real car collecting numbers, you might as well call it 327: 1.

downsizing their car collections to pay for Obamacare and prescription drugs? could it really happen?

absolutely.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ash-it-feature

yep

**slight tweak on the post I made on the 944 forum several weeks ago.

Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 09-28-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:36 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Thanks.... From the March 2014 Issue of Car and Driver

A demographic shift looms: Some 76 million baby boomers will soon reach retirement age, crushing the health-care system and the social safety net with their massive numbers. But we have a greater concern: Who’s going to buy all their cars? “I think that boomers are taking a more practical approach to baggage. We want to lighten our loads sooner,” says Charlie Kuhn, a 52-year-old collector from the Chicago area. “Guys not much older than me are selling because their kids aren’t interested. I’m already thinking about downsizing.”

......The best estimates we have at the Hagerty Group, which sells classic-car insurance, peg the number of collector cars in the U.S. at roughly 5 million, of which 58 percent are owned by baby boomers, or those born from 1946 through 1964. Our data says that the median age of collector-car owners is 56 years. The oldest boomers are approaching 70, and their interest in the hobby is starting to wane. We won't see a generation of similar size until the so-called millennials hit their peak earning years in a few decades. It’s questionable whether they will care about the cars of their grandfathers and great-grandfathers—or any cars, for that matter.

the pessimism expressed in the context of Millenials' future enthusiast participation might be understated.

I'd estimate we've lost at least 2/3 of the number of daily contributors on this forum compared to just a few years ago....

Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 09-28-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Holy cow 89 944 turbo 24k miles $35k!!!