Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many Ounces of R-12??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 01:00 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do yourself a huge favor. First buy a retro-fit kit and switch to R-134. Second, replace the dryer and use Andy's vac. pump and suck it into a vac.. Like the earlier post said any air in the system and you might as well not even bother with the exercise. Putting it into a vac. is just as important as removing the air, it's not just a side effect. When the system is pulled into a vac., the vac. will create heat and dry out any remaining moisture, any moisture in the system will mix with the refrigerant and create HCL or Hydrochloric acid. Enough said there.

The stock a/c system in your car will work fine with the new freon. Providing it's in good condition. I have done a ton of these and many people have heard a lot of things that are not true. I did my car two years ago and it will freeze you out of the car in 15 min. with a 90 degree ambient. Don't even bother trying to remove all of the old oil as the new oil for the retro fit is compatible with either. Save yourself a bunch of time and install a new dryer, pull it into a vac. and shoot it full of freon. Remember with the new freon you cannot use as much as was previously installed with the R-12. You need to cut the amount by about 4-5 ounces or it will not cool properly due to it being overcharged.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Just a follow up...

I already had a retrofit kit from another car, so we were good to go... for the most part. The high side retro-fitting would not work, so we did a work around. We flushed, vac'd, oiled, vac'd, and the system held vac fine.

So.. I put in the 1st can of 134a with a dye charge, all seems ok. 2nd can starts to go in, and I can hear hissing. The high side line is leaking at the crimp on the strut tower. On top of that, I have a cracked line on the evaporator.

So... no AC till next year.. I'll tear it all apart this winter.

Quick Reply: How many Ounces of R-12??