Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the hunt for my first 944

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014 | 06:13 PM
Bohman731
2nd Gear

Default On the hunt for my first 944

Hello everyone! I have been lurking for a while now and thought I would say hello. I am currently looking for a 85.5+ 944. My car that I am driving now is a Miata that is currently for sale and once that is sold the empty spot in my garage will be filled by a 944.

I do know the mess I am getting myself into but I never seem to do things the practical way And to help remedy this I have a 71' Ford pickup that I can daily.

Ive been wrenching on cars since I was a little kid "helping" (loose term as I am sure I was just getting in the way) my dad restore a 67' Camaro. Its been in my blood ever since.

My budget is around $4k and I would like to try and find one somewhat local. I live in Salt Lake City, UT.

I'll post some pictures of my previous cars just because!
Old 08-29-2014 | 09:33 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

If you were willing to fly out to get one and drive back, there's a sweet '88 for sale in Ohio.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...he-944-na.html

I'm sure you know of the model year differences, '88 has high compression pistons, spring tensioner, late offset, etc. The guy selling this (plyhammer) is very reputable, I've seen him offer and sell good stuff. If you can get over the paint, it's a great deal.
Old 08-29-2014 | 10:44 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

It's always a major risk buying one of these cars and driving it for any distance, unless you know that at least the belts and water pump are recent. "Plyhammer" sells used 944 parts and is reputable so I wouldn't feel too insecure about driving a car of his any distance. Since these cars are "long of tooth", there's still no guarantee of a successful long distance drive. If you decide to, I recommend getting a spare DME relay (about $20) and take it with you. If the car fails to start or quits running, that's the first thing to replace. I always keep an extra one in my door storage area. Just last month I had to go to the spare.

Good luck in your search. Get as much maintenance history, especially recent, as possible.
Old 08-29-2014 | 11:26 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

There are an abundance of 944's within a 400 mile radius of Salt Lake.

Look for one that has had all the major maintenance items done recently.
Old 08-30-2014 | 04:15 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Be patient and don't pull the trigger until you find the best one you can. There are still nice ones out there.

If you like white, I'm about to list my '87 for sale, which has new belts, WP, clutch, head gasket, tires, etc.
Old 08-30-2014 | 03:29 PM
Bohman731
2nd Gear

Thanks for all the advise! I had thought about the idea of flying out and driving one back. I did that with a mint 300zx I bought from Las Vegas. There is one about 15 minutes away from me that just popped up on the local classifieds.

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/1624891?ad_cid=1

He texted me pictures of the interior which look quite clean. I asked him if I could do a test drive and he told me in a very jumbled text that the shocks weren't on it or something like that and he didn't want to put the shocks on just for a test drive but said it runs and drives great. I won't just trust his word especially since I want to do a test drive for the simple reason of never driving a 944 before.

where are good places to search for them?

These are some of my old cars btw.

NA eclipse that I boosted

First Miata

300zx - Still miss this car.

Current Miata - I reupholstered the interior myself. Stripped and polished the aluminum hood. Made the tan canvas bikini top and a bunch of other things.

Old 08-30-2014 | 07:46 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Most cars, geographic location is of paramount importance, but since these cars have galvanized steel, body rust is not that common in most states. I'd pass on any car that the seller has conditions like the one you described. Cars that spent most of their lives in hot, sunny places (Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Las Vegas) have a higher risk of UV damage of the seal on the rear glass hatch, usually at the top and front edge. Listen for air noise and/or bumping noise of the rear hatch in that area.
Old 09-01-2014 | 11:18 AM
plyhammer
Pro

Default +1

Go with plyhammers car! What a great guy. Heck I'd bet he would help with shipping or pick you up at the airport! Can't say enough good things about him
Old 09-01-2014 | 12:18 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by plyhammer
Go with plyhammers car! What a great guy. Heck I'd bet he would help with shipping or pick you up at the airport! Can't say enough good things about him
Lol

+1 for ply...

Quick Reply: On the hunt for my first 944