Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Squealing 951 - Dying alternator?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014 | 03:51 AM
todzilla
Racer

Default Help! Squealing 951 - Dying alternator?...

OK so here's my dilemma. When my car is started (intermittently, but seems to be getting progressively more common) - she has a bad squeal that builds as revs rise and especially if you create any draw, such as headlights on/fan on/rear defrost, etc...It will eventually go away after about a minute of driving, and used to not come back til the car cooled overnight...but a few times, it made the same noise after being shut down only a short time.

It sounds like a belt that is slipping, but with the plumbing on these 80's turbo cars - and my relative lack of wrencher knowledge - who knows? I do know that about 3-4 months ago I had my car in to a shop for control arms and had them check my charging system as the gauge needle was in the lower 1/3. Not in the red, but I wondered if it was something to worry about. He did say - to my recollection - that it was only putting out 12 or 12.5 volts? I honestly forget, but he did say 'he'd like to see it higher' (I think 14 is where it should be?) It did have a very slow crank one day after I had the radio running while washing my car (about 20 minutes...hatch was open too) It just barely started, but did. It's never let me down, but I think it's a matter of time.

Now I should say the battery is only 5 months old. But bottom line, I suspect the alternator is on its (quick) way out, and this is my warning? Seeing as how the squeal worsens when there is any draw of power, it would seem to make sense?

Or am I off base? For what it's worth, I do have an appt. to get it looked at, but not til Sept. 2nd...and I hate to drive it if I'm either doing damage, or risking getting stranded!

Any advice is (as usual) MUCH appreciated!
Old 08-23-2014 | 09:20 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Get a new belt and consider a new battery, way more likely to go bad than the alternator.
Old 08-23-2014 | 11:01 AM
jeffrsmith
Instructor

I would make sure the belt is tightened to the factory spec prior buying anything.

The spec on these belts is ridiculously tight compared to most other cars.
Old 08-23-2014 | 03:36 PM
todzilla
Racer

Are we talking about the timing belt? Or serpentine (accessory?) belt? That was done in March - about 5000 miles ago. It can loosen?
Old 08-23-2014 | 03:56 PM
MB968
Racer

I'm sure they are talking about the serpentine accessory belt. They can loosen either from wear as the grooves settle in, or just due to initial use.
Old 08-23-2014 | 04:43 PM
todzilla
Racer

Ah ok. Makes sense.

If this makes any difference - seeing as how this belt is 5 months/5000 miles old - is it possible it got contaminated by spraying oil? I had a dislodged vacuum hose (the big one that runs to the intercooler at the front of the engine bay/drivers side) - and for a week or so (til I even noticed) it was seeping out oil, even as far as actually creeping thru the hood/fender crack (gap) to get on the fender! Is is possible that any boil got in there and ruined the belt prematurely?
Old 08-23-2014 | 06:13 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

the alternator belt is slipping - clean it of any oil, tighten it properly and you will be fine. quit worrying.
Old 08-24-2014 | 12:59 AM
todzilla
Racer

OK that seems to be the consensus. I'd try to do it, but my condo has rather strict rules, as far as tooling on cars, beyond the very basics...plus I'd rather not make it worse! It goes in in just over a week. Hopefully it's not a surprise...I'm thinking not, but with these cars, I prep myself! haha

Thanx y'all!
Old 09-03-2014 | 01:45 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Did you ever get to fix this? Following.
Old 09-03-2014 | 04:32 PM
todzilla
Racer

Yes, sorry. Turns out one of the ribs one the belts got shredded of by a broken A/C bolt. It's pretty convoluted, what happened in there, but needless to say, the noise was getting pretty consistent and had I left it longer, I'm sure damage would have been done. Nothing major and she's back to normal =)
Old 09-03-2014 | 06:24 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe, but if a bolt was broken it's likely some idiot was adjusting the strut without properly loosening up the pivot bolts and eyebolts first.

Watch out for more parts falling off on the road.
Old 09-03-2014 | 07:42 PM
todzilla
Racer

Exactly. The A/C was literally hanging by the hoses as per mechanic. Long story short, he fabricated a new bar (with the 2 eyelets) and completely fixed it up. It was apparently a shoddy belt job back in march which likely led to all this.

Of course, this was a different shop that tackled the job!

Quick Reply: Help! Squealing 951 - Dying alternator?...