Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Day (Motor Mounts, belts, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 12:37 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a goof. I forget the geekout was next weekend. I'll be there. I just bought the tool on eBay tonight. I'll see if I can get it shipped second day.

Bought the BBS wheels. Great shape. Need some refinishing, but the price was right. I also bought another pair of BBS wheels on eBay the other night (also in need of refinishing, but my company does some powdercoating so that won't be a big deal - need a blast cabinet now). I'll have 4 sets of wheels for the race car now. All I need to do is to buy some 15x7 Fuchs and sell my 15x8. I think my wife thinks I have a wheel fetish.

I have enough wheels now for all my cars to start one of those corner used wheel stores I think.

Now I just need to get the cage in the car so I can finish the damned thing off.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:16 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geo, you da man! I spent all weekend "organizing" the garage, so we would have room and be able to find everything. Man what a hot job that was. I'm looking forward to seeing everybody again.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:06 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your garage ACed??? I spent all weekend at pit out and grid, I am fried. I met James at the track, glad he could make it. No major incidents except the loss of one 996 with a blown motor. Just sucked a valve at like 8K miles. Dealer is going to repair under warranty to the tune of like 15K. Looking forward to it still. I must be crazy.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:46 PM
MK802
Intermediate

Hey Kevin, do you have room for one more? This is Mark, I live near Austin and I’d like to drive over and help if I can, but mainly observe. I have a ’91 S2 and it doesn’t need anything right now (knock on wood!), but some of the stuff you guys are planning on doing I will have to do in the coming year so I thought it’d be cool to see or help in the procedures and meet some fellow 944 guys as well.
I’d be coming in on 290E so perhaps you could give me directions from the outskirts of town to your house. Also would you like me to bring anything?.

Thanks,
Mark K.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:19 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Matt, no on the A/C but I'll keep the house down so we can invade the kitchen. I'll have a couple of fans in the garage, and there's usually a breeze for some strange reason.

Mark you are more than welcome! The more the merrier. From 290 easiest to come into Beltway 8. Take Beltway 8 north/or east, I'm not sure how it's labled to I-45. Take 45 north to 1960. Right on 1960 to Aldine Westfield. Left on Aldine Westfield to Praire Bird (Cypress Trails subdivision) Should be past the 5th light. You will turn Right onto Prarie Bird, its just before the new Pulte construction. Go to first stop turn left, go to first (only) right. Look for all the cars. 2nd house on right.

Matt, I saw the weather forcast and we should be OK the forcast high is like 91F on Saturday, with the trees and breeze and fans, it's not miserable (if it is hot).
Old 08-18-2003, 04:14 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I was kidding about the AC but it sure would be nice. :>) With fans and whatnot it should be okay. I will bring some cases of water with me.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:07 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Well alrighty then.....

Ordered my mounts from Paragon will be here tomorrow. They were out of the long (42mm) bolts, as is Advantage on the Katy Fwy. So i might have to reuse them (if, in fact it has the long ones)

While I was in a "buying" mood, I went ahead and got new A arms, Ball Joints, and Wheel Bearings....

The ride to TWS on Sat convinced me that I REALLY need to get that done as well. I dont't know if we can get it ALL done this weekend, but I figure with new A arms it should be easy enough in my garage,,,Geo,,,ever done A arms?????

Oh and to help with the cooling situation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I rented a HUGE 2 speed shop floor fan. Man this sucker is nice, new and it really blows Wish I OWNED it!!!...

I just picked up a set of cheap flare nut wrenches to try and get my fuel filter done as well....

Man,,,aint vacation FUN...........................
Old 08-18-2003, 07:52 PM
Matt H
Race Director

James, while you guys toil on the mounts, I can do the suspension work. I bet I can get it all done in the morning time, that stuff is pretty easy. Make sure we have a large braker bar. I will bring 1/2 stuff including a 2 foot braker bar. That may be enough to get the job done.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:49 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

I think Kevins got air tools as well. I was hoping that would help things along.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:11 PM
Matt H
Race Director

It will help with some of the stuff no doubt. I can probably do the entirety of the suspension work in a few hours. The bearings I have not done but they are just like any others. You guys will have to be under the car to do the mounts, I can do the suspension work from the side, except 3 bolts if memory serves. I would be that we can almost all of the things on your car done in less than 6 hours. I have done both control arms in like 45 mins on a late model. About 10 mins to get loose and 35 fighting to get the ball joint to pop out.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:38 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

COOL! Yes I do have air tools, 1/2 Impact with deep sockets 10mm - 18mm. I have some large 1/2 metric sockets 19mm - 22mm. If we need to drill out the rivets in the ball joints I have a drill press.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:38 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

I went ahead and got new A arms, so no drilling!!! Bushings are already installed, just bolt up the ball joints and replace the whole thing at once.

Since it's an early model, the arms with the bushings are only like 50.00, seemed like an easier way (and faster) to do it.

Anybody need a set of early arms to do theirs can have my old ones and just buy new bushings and ball joints. They can do the drilling

Matt, have you deceided how you are geting here?

Kevin, are you still working late fri nite? When do you want us to come over?

UPDATE!!!!!!
UPS just deliered my parts WOW!!!! 24 hours from ordering and they are here. No extra shipping, it helps being close to Corpus Christi.

It all looks good, can not wait to see what kind of shape the old motor mounts are in, these things look robust

Last edited by goingboeing737; 08-19-2003 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:21 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

James, I do work EVERY Friday day and night 18 friggin hours worth 6:00 AM to Mid.

I will be awake around 7:00 (I'll set the alarm) so feel free to be hear anytime after that.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:50 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey fellas,

Sheeeeit, I missed this post until now? Criminy. Anyway, I'll be up in the morning. It'll be nice to see you guys. I won't be able to stay all day though, I've got Texans season tickets, and they play San Diego Saturday. It's just pre-season, but they make you buy them with the regular season tix, so I might as well use 'em.

Hey James, if you're going to do the fuel filter, have a look at the j-shaped fuel hose on the downstream side of the filter. Mine was shot, completely dry-rotted. I got a new one at Advantage for something like $25.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:05 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not only got the tool coming on Friday, I have a flywheel lock coming as well. Got a really good deal on eBay.

James, if you have no takers on your control arms, I'll take 'em. I need a spare set anyway and I can use them for measurements for spherical bearings.

Quick Reply: Project Day (Motor Mounts, belts, etc.)