Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive axle questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 12:26 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Drive axle questions

I'm getting ready to do rear drive tear-down for: axles, bearings and parking brake rebuild. I noticed complete CV drive axles from Cardone priced from $60 to over $200. Anyone have any comments on parts from this supplier? I'm not tracking the car, its just a daily driver (with gusto). I'm also going to replace the rear bearings (aluminum carrier) and need info on bearings from Cardone and WD Express. Also noticed there's a mass of different park brake shoe suppliers out there that say their shoes are for my '87 N/A but they look different in the pics. This is very confusing. Help please.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:17 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't go with cardone rebuilds. If you need axles get GKN or factory. Otherwise rebuild your own... Its easy.
For bearings, go with SKF at least or INA brands. These are Porsche OEM. The rest should be OEM as well.
Pelican parts are about as good as it gets for retail Porsche parts in both price and service.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

mytrplseven,

The only roller bearing replacement experience I have is on the front hubs. But them local. Turns out they were cheap chinese ones that changed the geometry & caused me no end of grief. The problem was corrected with decent SKF (jap) ones. No more chinese bearings for this guy.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:30 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought some rebuilt axles from O'Reilly auto parts based on a recommendation here, and have had no problems. Shipping was fast. The outside of the shipping box has Made in China on it. I tried re-building first but it was a PITA for me, it's so much easier just to swap the axles in.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:58 PM
athens944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with a gentleman at the Atlanta get together this weekend. He had a bad experience with the Cardone axles. They did not last at all. He went with some Porsche rebuilds with much better results!
Old 06-22-2014, 10:11 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for so I don't waste my time on "junk". Still wondering about the parking brake shoes. There's so many of them on ebay that say they're proper fitment for the '87 944 but they all look different. So, I'm looking for recommendations and comments on that as well.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Duralast Cardone axels on my 86. I have a few hundred miles, no problems so far. They looked good. One was a Porsche and the other was a GNK loebro. Both were tight and looked nice. Autozone will ship then one day for free of they're not in stock. Plus lifetime warranty.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:18 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

aftermarket axles can be hit or miss... my youngest kid wanted DTA(sp) replacements for the front of his 4-matic but now he is concerned about the clunk when it is put in drive. Subaru ppl know that rattle at idle is due to the lack of tolerance of non OEM products/factory rebuilds. pitch the cheaper aftermarket half shafts and the noise goes away. There is a cross reference for the VW equivalent floating around if you can research part numbers with OEM quality at a lower price point.

we used to have a rebuilder that machined the cages and fitted bigger ***** but no more.

the advantage of installing aftermarket/offshore parts is that is gives you the skill and the knowledge when you do the job the second time.

Quick Reply: Drive axle questions