Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pump loud buzz. failing dme relay

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:41 PM
ggrecian
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump loud buzz. failing dme relay

Recently my dme relay failed. 1987 924s would not start. With the relay "jumpered" the car will start. I have tried multiple new dme relays with the same result. Car will only start if dme relay is jumpered. The fuel pump has been making an extremely loud buzzz. So i bought a new fuel pump and installed it, with the new relay. No start. when using jumpered dme relay the car starts and stays running. The new fuel pump ran quiet for a few days. Now it is buzzing even louder. So. i did a fuel pressure test per Clarks Garage to test the fuel pressure regulator. The fuel pressure tests within 1-2 psi of specs listed per Clarks Garage. However, when performing the 20 minute leak down test to test the fuel pressure regulator, the leak down was over 10 psi higher than specs? What does this mean if anything? Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-21-2014, 02:00 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrecian
I have tried multiple new dme relays with the same result.
New, as in new/quality/OE...or new, as in new-to-my-car used? If new OE, then what is missing during no-start condition...spark or fuel?

Originally Posted by ggrecian
However, when performing the 20 minute leak down test to test the fuel pressure regulator, the leak down was over 10 psi higher than specs?
What was your leak down reading, 5psi or 25psi? If the former, that to me would indicate a failing/faulty fuel pump check valve, 944.608.951.00 located between the pump and filter.

Quick Reply: fuel pump loud buzz. failing dme relay