Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch latching seal/gasket, I've heard of Porsche tax but this is ridiculous

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The hatch seal has been replaced. It's not one continuous piece like the door seal is but the pieces touch instead of leaving a gap

that was never the source of the leak though

Unless I can find a tool online I have to figure out how to remove a chunk out of a flathead in order to make the tool
Old 07-01-2014, 03:06 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
Unless I can find a tool online I have to figure out how to remove a chunk out of a flathead in order to make the tool
I made one our of a flathead with a dremel and a cutting wheel. Just put the screwdriver in your bench vise and cut away.

I've also seen the tool in the special tools section of my local Autozone.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

I definitely have to take the spoiler off to get a visual of how this works and mainly see if the glass sans spoiler will align flush with the rear. I was thinking of just using vice grip to clamp and twist the nut off the bolt to save the trouble of buying a dremel and bit
Old 08-12-2014, 07:56 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Problem solved, two parts.

1. The water was coming in faster than the drainage system could remove.
I drilled a larger hole into the plastic tray, Took an adapter, cut off as much from the top as I could, sealed it around, and attached the tube as shown directly under the drip hole. The larger hose is able to keep up.
The car still leaked but it wasn't from the hatch locks so I removed the spoiler completely.
I replaced the hatch locks, glass covered over the hatch seal, still leaked.

2. After extensive testing discovered it's the lights that stick out eversolightly from the body. The water was running down the back of the body, hitting the light module, and going back inside.
I took the light module out, put in some weather stripping around it, no leaks. The rear side markers was tougher since there's a smaller surrounding opening but most of the battle was finding the source of the leaks.
Conclusion, nothing to do with the spoiler, by design the spoiler cannot leak. So for rear leaks, you can install the larger hose directly under the drip area and seal the lights and there should be no more leaks
Attached Images                
Old 08-12-2014, 08:34 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

That's actually pretty resourceful and looks quite good too, almost factory, good job. Thanks for sharing.

Now if someone has a way to stop leaves and dirt blocking up those drain holes that run through the spoiler, please share.

Quick Reply: Hatch latching seal/gasket, I've heard of Porsche tax but this is ridiculous