Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud "huummm" at speed, wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 08:24 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the wheel bearing fairy has descended on the 944 bunch. Mine went out 3 weeks ago and this is the third other person on this list with possible bearing noises. Prior to all this I cant remember when I saw a front wheel bearing post.... And by the way the bearings make more noise when the weight of the car is partially lifted (in a left or right hand turn)
Old 08-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, at least bearings are CHEAP. My noise doesn't have any oscilation (woowoowoowoo), it's just a straight "hmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" that goes away at certain speeds and diminishes as speeds reduce.

I'm still waiting on my order from Paragon so haven't looked at it any futher (rear wheels are still on tera firma actually). Looks like there's no easy inspection for the rears either - mostly just replacement.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:59 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

just a foot note here, When inspecting bearings, after you clean out the races and the bearing you need to put the bearing in the race and apply pressure and rotate them back and forth they should rotate smoothly. Even good looking bearings will some time have catches in them when doing this.. the catches will create vibrations.. This is to be done with no grease on the race or bearing... also after 80,000 miles you should just replace them. Just my opinion..
Old 08-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced a rear bearing tonight. For awhile I thought it was actually coming from the front and inspected them first. That was about two weeks ago and in the last three days the noise got increasingly louder and annoying. I could now make it shut up turning to the left and get worse turning to the right. LR wheel bearing for sure.

Road home tonight enjoying the peace.

Quick Reply: Loud "huummm" at speed, wheel bearings?