Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking lot damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 04:44 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry parking lot damage

A few days back, I was informed by some neighbors that my car had just been hit. ( I do a lot of work for them). He had tried to drive away but saw them seeing him. The police would not come and take a report because it is considered private property, I live in a townhouse. I put in a report the next day at the station. Even after confronting him I got little satisfaction.. My question is this, I never leave my car in gear when parking. My car was pushed nearly 2 feet. I just set the hand brake. Had I left it in gear, I would be looking at a rear quarter and a new bumper end.. Luckily it looks to be just a bumper end and a new shock plus a small indent on the rear of the spot where the PORSCHE sticker starts.. I have a 500 dollar deduct, This will most likely fall under that... or close. My question lies in do you leave it in gear when parking? I do not . Not for this reason just have always did on a manual. If you do? maybe you should not? just a heads up on parking lot damage. Maybe I was fortunate that my brake is just tight enough????????
Old 08-06-2003, 05:15 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't. If they hit you hard enough, it could break something transmission related.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Mark97c2
Intermediate

I leave my car in gear because there are lot of hills where I live and the e-brake just doesn't cut it for stopping the car on a slope. But I didn't realize leaving it in gear could be hazardous to the tranny, I'll probably reconsider leaving it in gear when i'm on a flat ground.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:59 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

what if he hit your car into a brick wall? then you would have damage on both sides!
Old 08-06-2003, 06:04 PM
elf89
Pro

I leave it in gear and put the parking break on. I'd rather risk the damage and make sure my car stays put (unless some a$$clown hits it as happened to you!) This seems to be a safety issue to me, which IMO is more important than possible damage to the car if it gets hit.

Sorry about the car though. That really sucks.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:12 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

When I first started driving manuals, I just used the emergency brake. My older brother later told me to put it in gear in addition to using the brake and since he had been driving manual transmissions longer than I had, I followed his advice.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:24 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I remember when I first started driving on track they advised leaving the car in gear as opposed to pulling the e-brake so as to not warp the rotors after a hard run. With out Porsches this isn't really an issue as we have drums inside the rear rotors for the parking brake.

I've always left mine in gear, and I usually don't even pull up the e-brake. I usually leave it in 2nd at home as that's the gear I pull in w/. At other places if the ground is about level I'll just leave it in 1st or reverse. If it's not then I'll do both e-brake and in gear. It's somewhat common to leave it in gear in europe on busy streets, so people can bump your car when parallel parking...
Old 08-06-2003, 06:30 PM
86944T
Advanced

I do a little of both:

- Leave the car in gear, but apply the emergency brake with the clutch in. Then, once the car has been supported by the emergency brake(regular brake peddle off) I place the car in gear.

This allows the car to be support entirely by the emergency brake, while still giving the option of even greater support if the e-brake fails, or if the car gets hit. This way the car is being supported entirely by the e-brake, unless the e-brake fails.

Peter

Quick Reply: parking lot damage