Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Refinished Phone Dials

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 12:21 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile More Refinished Phone Dials

Earlier in the summer I purchased a set of 15X7 phone dials for $180 plus shipping. The wheels are straight, but the paint was in poor shape. So, I refinished the wheels myself (with advice from fellow Rennlisters), and a few hours of labor and $20 in paint and supplies later, I have some nice-looking wheels:

If anyone is interested in the procedures I followed, go to my Porsche Page (see link below) and click on the link at the bottom of the page.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 08-06-2003, 12:40 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks nice. Did you do this with the tires off?
Old 08-06-2003, 12:43 PM
DangerIslandII
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those look awesome! I want a set of phonies to do the same to, except I'm going to go for grey or black, with a polished lip. If anyone has a line on a cheap set, let me know.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:15 PM
Conor
Burning Brakes

I don' mean to hijack the thread here, but I am also looking for some wheels.
I need 2 late offset 15X7 phonedials, the condition doesn't mater, Im also gonna repaint them. I'm planning on going to wider tires in the rear, and I need a wider wheel. Thanks

Also, Mark - the wheels look great!

Conor
Old 08-06-2003, 02:53 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did all the work with tires off. I purchased the wheels without tires, so it was a no-brainer. I think if tires were on the wheels it would have been worth taking them off.

If for no other reason, I wouldn't have been able to bake the wheels in the oven with tires on!
Old 08-06-2003, 03:14 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Hmm... i need to do this, but what do i do if i need to drive the car the folowing week... i don't have money for a second set of rims... and i can't let mine sit to dry for 2 weeks... any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2003, 03:31 PM
slinky
Burning Brakes

Nice job!
Old 08-06-2003, 04:01 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jonas,

The idea to bake the wheels came from an old Rennlist thread. A guy who runs a highly reputable body shop near me also said it was a good idea. Basically, he says that once the wheels are baked, they are ready for wax and ready to be put on the car. It seems that I did not need to let the wheels sit for two weeks.

I believe you can do everything I did in about two days. Perhaps a good weekend project. Get all the supplies you need (paint, sandpaper, tack cloth, etc.) ahead of time. Sand, prime, and color paint the wheels on Saturday. Strip, prime, and paint the center caps Saturday evening. On Sunday you can finish sand the paint on the wheels (the 2000-grit sandpaper), then clear coat the wheels and center caps. Finish sand the clear coat, spray on another coat of clear, then bake.

I think it can all be done in two days without rushing. Be patient and allow ten to fifteen minutes before coats of paint. I guess it might actually be three days, since you might end up letting the wheels sit overnight after baking. Then you have to wax and mount the tires. Anyway, this is certainly good for a weekend project.

Mark

Quick Reply: More Refinished Phone Dials