Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to understand engine temperature to engine temperature gauge path/components

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need to understand engine temperature to engine temperature gauge path/components

I've been having issues with my engine operating temperature and I want to ensure everything measuring this is up to date (read new).

From researching on the internet and talking to people the best I can figure out is that a thermometer is placed at a point on/near the engine that measures the temperature of the coolant/water that is exiting the engine and wire connects this to engine temperature gauge on the gauge cluster.

Some have said this wire runs to the DME (whatever & wherever that is, I know stupid question) and then to the engine temperature gauge.

If someone can tell me the correct path and components to get I am usually able to swap out parts.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

There are 2 temp sensors. They are very close to each other on the block, under the intake manifold, between cylinders 1 and 2. One of these sensors is wired to the DME (the engine management computer) and tells the DME the operating temperature of the engine. The other sensor is wired to the instrument cluster and tells the operator (you) the engine temperature.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok so if I bought the two sensors (are they the same or different), wire, and a temperature gauge I should be set. Any particular type/gauge of wire I should get or the wires don't go bad and don't need to be replaced?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:01 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sensors are different

Wiring for the DME sensor should be fine. (Unless someone smashed the connector under the intake hose)

Wiring for the gauge sensor also runs through the DME harness and should be okay. Confirm which temp gauge sensor you have (one is a spade and one a stud) before purchase.

I put in an aftermarket sensor/gauge on the race car and works flawlessly.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Obviously, you need a gauge and sensor that are calibrated together... so if you go aftermarket, like Brent, you just have to make sure the thread size is correct.

Quick Reply: Need to understand engine temperature to engine temperature gauge path/components