Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

on the road in the 912.. whats happening back there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 03:04 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default on the road in the 912.. whats happening back there?

hey guys whats up!

had a blast driving cross country in the 912, to the 912 rendezvous, and unfortunitly i need some work done on the car right now, so im gonna be in santa barbra for a week. (this could obviously be a good thing )

missed talkin to you guys and thought id fill ya in, and find out whats new!
what happened to mein 912? well, the valve spring, and valve guide on #3 exhaust are shot. could possable need a new head or complete valve job etc. hopfuly thats it as im gonna be broke now. luckily the 912 registry passed the hat around and came up with $800 to help me out. thankfuly that covers at least half of it if not more (work shop estimate 12-1500 so far)

so pete, got the 944s2 yet? pics? details of the drive home? we did rockey mountiuan national park on the way to so cal. WOW great twisties.

Fishey, got the trany fixed yet?

Chris, anything new?

everyone else.. whats happeneing? people fill me in ive been away from the computer since july 26th.

so cal is the greatest, the 912ers are the nicest people around, and everything out here is beautiful and scincere, not fake hollywood type stufff like one would expect.

i can definitly see why some people would never come home. dont worry i cant stay out here so you will all have to put up with me sometime soon!

costs bite the big one, but youd never find a nicer area, with such a beautiful back drop to break down in.

keep the faith guys, and remember, the road goes on forever!
Old 08-05-2003, 03:09 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that's a big hat that got passed around. Sounds like your having a blast though, enjoy.

John
Old 08-05-2003, 03:27 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howya Doin Harry? I just read your post in the OT forum. Sorry to hear about the head on the 912 but it sounds like you're in good hands. I've had the S2 for a week & a half and I love it. I think I made a good decision to buy it. It needs some cosmetic work (paint & windshield) but it's solid mechanically. The drive from Denver was completely uneventful. The car performed flawlessly. I did have a little fun playing with a V12 BMW but we won't go into that.
Good luck on the trip back!
Old 08-05-2003, 03:31 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Harry,

Glad to hear that you at least made it all the way to the West coast, and even nicer to hear about the collection your fellow 912'ers got for you. Yeah, you are right that there are a lot worse places to break down. I lived in S.B. for 17 years before I moved up to Nor. Cal. about 6 years ago. I was going to try and make it down for the 912 Fest, but my wife reminded me that we had signed up for an event up here the same weekend.

Have fun on your forced vacation in S.B., and enjoy the drive home. Any pictures of your 912 in scenic locales on the drive out?

Tom
Old 08-05-2003, 03:41 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

well just driving.. we went mad getting here; 10 hours + a day. got up at 430, left by 5 or 6 some days. drove 600 or 800 miles on the farthest day. WOW! talk about balling the jack. no time to do anything. just drive drive drive, climb a mountian, drive, get gas, push start it in the desert (912's and 356's have a hot starter problem) drive some more.. more mountians

you get the idea. but it was a blast when you forgot about worrying and enjoyed it all.

so basicaly mostly driving pictures on the road. at the show, pleanty of great shots.

many many many rolls of film.

pete,

so would that make it an 8 series youve been having fun with?
sounds like youre loving every bit of your s2 now!
do any crazy drives on the rockies?
get alot more power when you came down to sea level? i lost alot of power on the mountians myself, and so did the fuel injected 912E that came out with us. just currious to hear your experience in a 944 at those heights.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Harry- glad to see all is well.. well almost.. did a Nothern Il gtg last weekend- 4 cars, but the almost the entire line! 924S, 944, 951 and 968 were representin..

I figure If I could PICK to get stuck anywhere - It'd be Santa Barbara.. or maybe San Fransisco.. or San Diego.. I digress..

Glad youre having fun- take more pics. We were all a little worried about the trip out- heat and all..
Best of luck on the trip back!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 04:17 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The S2 has a lot more power than the old 944. Just cruisin on I-70 on the way back I didn't really notice a big power difference due to the altitude. I was just happy to have working AC. It was over 100 degrees in Denver when I landed. I drove about six hours and got a room for the night and drove about 12 hours home the next day.
The BMW was an 850i. I was behind him through part of Missouri and most of Illinois. He kept running up to 100 or so and I stuck with him. I let him stay up front so if a State Trooper should be in the area he'd be seen first.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:56 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Chris,

sounds like a good time either way! ive tried to do the same with the few 912s we have in ohio, with no luck.

heat was never a problem, car got hot, but never over heated. just had the common hot starter prob, where when the car gets too hot (especially when driven), the solenoid wont turn. as soon as it cools down youre good to go (its an easy fix, and shop will be doing it as well). hell in 103+ heat in the desert i had the grateful dead, allman brothers and muddy waters cranking with only the vent windows cracked to keep me cool. pleanty of water, never come close to miserablely hot.

btw, did you get my private message?

Quick Reply: on the road in the 912.. whats happening back there?