Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is rebuilding an out-of-car torque tube worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:34 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Is rebuilding an out-of-car torque tube worthwhile?

Asking because the TT will be out, and this would be the time to do it. I don't have access to a press or any decent power/milling/machine shop tools until August, so I would need to be able to do everything using common tools and parts.

Worth it? I like the idea of new bearings since I'm going to be taking the damn thing out anyway, but not if it's going to be such a hassle that I end up compromising the TT integrity due to of my current lack of resources. It looks simple enough, but I want to hear from those of you who have done it. Not looking to send it out for a rebuild.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2014, 05:13 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I've done the torque tube rebuild twice. Both times, it was a big PITA. To give you an idea of my setup, I have an air compressor and air tools, welder, power tools / saws, and hand tools.

There are two separate headaches: getting the driveshaft out of the tube, and getting the 4 bearings & carriers out of the tube. To get the shaft out (without an enormous press or something) you basically have to beat it out with a 6' pipe and sledge hammer. But now that you have Obama care, go ahead and waste your back!

Taking out the 4 bearings it actually pretty easy if you have the right setup from the beginning. I use Clark's method of a 6' (or whatever) threaded rod, washers, and nuts. I even made a thick steel disk for one side and a thick steel square for the other side. I recommend using a thicker threaded rod than most people recommend. I'd go with 5/8" or 3/4". The thinner ones' threads will get messed up, and the nuts will have a hard time turning. Worst of all, the thin rod will absorb all the impact from an air gun, so you'll end up turning a 6' rod by hand until all 4 bearings come out. But it's OK, Obama care will cover your broken wrist!

The bottom line is, if you have low miles and your TT sounds fine, maybe leave it alone. If it's already making noises, don't miss the opportunity to rebuild it. It's just a day of misery for years of quiet driveline. You can rebuild it without a machine shop.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:18 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Just spotted this method for getting the shaft out... I'd love to try this next time. But I'll use a steel scissor jack. The Porsche aluminum jack might take the load but I'd at least use a stronger handle.

Maybe I'll do the same thing to get the bearings out, with a large PVC pipe or something.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/4785136-post2.html
Old 05-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, that's my torque tube!

The Porsche jack worked fine. Quite a slow process though! Probably the least fun job ever.

I had no luck bashing the bearings out. As said above, use a 16mm threaded rod to pull out the bearings.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
The bottom line is, if you have low miles and your TT sounds fine, maybe leave it alone.
This was my thought also.

Ummmm, just saw a photo of a fellow using a huge ratchet strap to reinstall the shaft *successfully*. Yes it looked like a $100 strap (or better) looped from one end of the tube to the end of the shaft, and he just squeezed it in. Crazy... but this method or the scissor appear to be the best methods if you aren't on the proper tool rent list with the supplier of the super bearings, the gentleman named Consantine.

Best of luck!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:25 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

its really not THAT bad a job, just time consuming.

an impact gun and a big airtank will save you several months of frustration
Old 05-22-2014, 01:51 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll probably leave it alone, I need the car back on the road and will be dealing with enough frustration from simply removing the TT as it is.

Quick Reply: Is rebuilding an out-of-car torque tube worthwhile?