Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If these were the symptoms . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014 | 12:12 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Btw if I IR gun the water neck how close to actual water temp is the reading?
Old 05-22-2014 | 04:02 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Last Lemming
I do understand and I have used an infrared gun. The thing is when the fan kicks on the temp is not dropping - though it's not overheating either.
Again, how long have you had your car? And, has it always behaved this way?

When I sit in summer, stop-n-go, FL traffic, my temps run toward the top of the indicated range...95* to 100*. When the fans kick on high, if I'm simply sitting [not moving] in traffic, my indicated temps don't move much, if at all, either. Never have...in 15 years.

Heat is the enemy of electronic components...high junction temps result in decreased reliability/accuracy and lead to component failure. I'm sure [from decades of duty cycles] my indicated temps are in error, on the high side, due to corrosion/resistance across the signal path(s).

Also if I rev the car past 3000 rpm the temp will drop as well with the car standing still.
Well, in that situation, I would hope the temp [indicated or not] drops. Ponder this for a moment...what is driving the water pump? The cam belt bone. And what is the cam belt bone connected to? The crank bone. Ergo...more RPM, more volumetric flow through the water pump.
Old 05-22-2014 | 09:05 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Ok I verified the belt is not slipping.

That leaves air in the system, a defective WP, or may be a defective thermostat not opening up all the way. Would revving the engine to get it to cool be indicative of that?

Mel- I don't disagree that it may be normal but I need to verify.
Just so I'm clear you are saying that in the summer, at a red light, you temp goes up, your fan comes on, and your needle does not drop?

Also I realize revving the engine moves more coolant in front of the radiator, but it's in from for,a,much shorter time. Wouldn't that cause less cooling of the coolant at idle?
Old 05-22-2014 | 09:43 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Clean the grounds at the back of the engine if you haven't. That bought me ~1/2 a division on the temp gauge. Still fluctuates a bit like yours, but at half a division lower, it'll sure seem more normal.

Does your gauge jump when you turn on your headlights, defroster, or AC? Another symptom of ground resistance.
Old 05-22-2014 | 10:32 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gtroth
Clean the grounds at the back of the engine if you haven't. That bought me ~1/2 a division on the temp gauge. Still fluctuates a bit like yours, but at half a division lower, it'll sure seem more normal.

Does your gauge jump when you turn on your headlights, defroster, or AC? Another symptom of ground resistance.
I have cleaned all the grounds in the car. I did not see a change, but none of the grounds were bad though. They looks like new actually, but I cleaned them to be safe anyway.
Old 05-23-2014 | 04:22 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Mel- I don't disagree that it may be normal but I need to verify.
No worries...verify away.

Just so I'm clear you are saying that in the summer, at a red light, you temp goes up, your fan comes on, and your needle does not drop?
Correct. At a light, when the high speed fans come on, my indicated temps may drop from 98* to 96* before I leave the line.

Also I realize revving the engine moves more coolant in front of the radiator, but it's in from for,a,much shorter time. Wouldn't that cause less cooling of the coolant at idle?
Less heat transfer from the coolant, to a certain extent...yes. Keep in mind, the temp sensor doesn't take its reading from the radiator...it takes it from the head.

1. On one hand: higher revs = higher flow rate = less time spent in the radiator = less specific heat transfer per molecule of coolant.

2. On the other hand: higher flow rate = higher cumulative heat rejection from the engine/head.

While someone like Harvey or Van would have a more accurate answer, I'd venture to say/guess that, at idle, the water pump flows enough volume to empty the radiator in 10 seconds, or less. At speed, 3000 RPM, I'd say that drops to 5 seconds, or less. Under normal driving conditions, 2000-4000 RPM, coolant simply doesn't spend a lot of time in the radiator.

So, while revving the engine at a light results in #1 above [less specific heat transfer per molecule of coolant], it also results in #2 [higher cumulative heat rejection from the engine/head], which is precisely why your indicated temp drops.

Quick Reply: If these were the symptoms . . .