Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was Almost Run Off The Road Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 05:58 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aren't there road rage laws that have been passed or on abou to to be on the books? i dunno... seems to happen here a lot.

Man shot, killed South of Market

Bay City News Friday, August 1, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAN FRANCISCO -- Police are searching for a suspect who was involved in a traffic accident that escalated to a fatal shooting South of Market.

The male victim was shot dead near Fifth and Clara streets around 4:35 p.m. today.

The shooting followed a traffic accident at Fifth and Harrison. Two men got into an altercation and one chased the other down the street before one was shot to death. The suspect then escaped.

Police are searching for a green Jeep Cherokee and its driver.

Fifth Street has been closed between Folsom and Harrison. The San Francisco Police Department asks people who may have witnessed the incident to call the department.

link from SFGate.com
Old 08-04-2003, 06:35 PM
atinybug
Racer

um... i know of a similar incident, dont really want to go into the details of it, but it's possible u can press charges of some sort of assault, cuz his actions endangered your life and the life of your wife, but it still comes down to whether the police are going to do anything about it or not, if not, then ur SOL
Old 08-04-2003, 07:08 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah, that really sucks, and its scary. I had a van almost slam the back of me on 75s because i guess my 85 mph in a 55 wasnt fast enough. He tailed me for about two miles a foot off my bumper before i break checked him and left him behind. YOu would think if they are in such a hurry they would use that round thing on the dashboard. HMmm.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:51 PM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At about 2am one Saturday morning I was leaving the girlfriends house in my 944 no less, I saw a bus winding it's way up the hill towards where I was pulling out and I thought I don't want to get stuck behind him (long hill) so I planted it and was out and away probably a good 50 meters in front of him, I stopped at the give-way sign at the top of the hill only to see this large bus bearing down on me with no sign of slowing what so ever, I planted it and got out of his way, there is no way he would have been able to avoid hitting me at the speed he was going especially with the cold icey twisty streets. This went on for a few more blocks, every time I slowed down he tried to run me down, I don't like to trash my car when cold and the gear box can be particularly notchy when frozen so I wasn't getting a lot of space between him and me between each stop sign (lots of blind corners).
I remember thinking that if this guy actually manages to hit me I will never live it down (if I was to survive). It was then I remembered an old trick my father once told me, the trick is that if you are driving cautiously the driver tailing you wether it be on a track or road will assume that his skill is greater than yours as you are merely holding him up, therefore he can be lulled into the false sense of security of thinking that he can take every corner at least as fast as you can.
Well I continued around the twisty streets with this bus trying to run me down knowing there was only one tight turn left before I would have to stop at a blind intersection, at this last corner I didn't use the brakes at all but jammed the gear lever into first and slowed down with the clutch, my car hopped and skipped around the corner barely clinging to the edge of traction, all the time thinking there is no way he is going to make it at the same speed as a 944 in a bus, sure enough there was that horible screech of tyre on road followed by the sound of crunching metal, I drove the rest of the way home and called the police who later told me that he hit two cars and bus had to be towed from the scene.
I don't know what became of the driver.
As mentioned above it is best to just get out of the path of such people as the alternative can be quite scary.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:25 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

euro,

That sucks. Nothing like jerk-offs on the road. Last Friday some assclown decides that the "Yield" sign for his on-ramp doesn't apply to him and his Corolla(with baby strapped in carseat in back) and tries to merge into my 951. With nowhere to go(cars to the left and behind me), I just lay on the horn, now he realizes he is going to sidewipe me, so has to run on the shoulder for a couple of yards before he can merge a few cars back. Said assclown then pulls alongside me further down the highway, and gestures untill I look at him, then proceeds to mouth"you are the jerk" while pointing at me( remember with his baby in the back). I mouth back--"Yield" means "yield" several times, while assclown continues his rant. I give him the "I can't be bothered with you, you are now dismissed" royalty-type wave(he had me steamed) downshift and pull out-of-site. If that jerk-off didn't have his kid in the car, he would have experienced a showering of wealth in the form of a handful of spare change.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:25 PM
volv4life
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

spare change ? lol wow u guys are umm agressive.. a week after i had obtained my license i was driving my dads work volvo down into town, "it was a wagon at the time" and we all know not to get behind volvo wagon drivers, well anyways im with a bud of mine and were heading into town and theres a redneck in this huge lifted truck behind me, i had been going the speedlimit and hadn't done anythign wrong to my knowledge except be cautious and not block the intersection due to heavy traffic and then the light goes green, i proceed to give it some gas and he comes flying around me in the opposing lane and then cuts me off bye 2 lanes and stops sideways right in front of me.... this is while in traffic, he proceeds to get out and scream at me asking if im old enough to drive, now im a smartass but i was polite and just said " the state of ohio tested me and i have my license" and he just started cussing me out, well at this point he realizes that there are about 15 people just sitting there watching him in awe so he says im lucky and then gets back in his truck and peels out leaving... i still dont know what i did.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:03 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

One time on the way to work:

I'm doing the speed limit (35), along a car next to me doing likewise. There's a truck behind us who can't stand it. Finally I am going a little faster than the other guy, and a gap opens up. The impatient trucker swings around the other guy, passes me and cuts right back across my bumper so very close I hit the brakes to avoid him. I give him the international "You're No.1" finger, and he was watching for it. We started exchanging a non-verbal debate, until we reach a red light. He gets out, and starts walking back. I put my window down and told him to bring it on. I got so far as opening my door and stepping out. Guess he figured I was a bigger breakfast than he'd imagined. He lost a lot of bravado when I cleared the door. He got back in his truck, and away we went.

I am a lot more careful now about just how freely I share one-fingered salutes. I do keep in mind road rage is very real, and you just never know these days how close somebody may be to going over the edge.

The best thing really is to just get the hell away from them as soon as possible. Speed away, or make a quick detour to a coffee shop, whatever. Don't let their miserable, wretched lives intrude on yours.

BTW, I loved Martin's story.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:11 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost got run off the road/ into an accident Saturday. I'm cruising down the highway, doing about 80, and traffic ahead is starting to slow down. So, for some unknown reason, the BMW next to and slightly ahead of me decides he needs to change lands as fast as he can without signaling. I got on the brakes, and thankfully the person behind was paying attention, otherwise it would have been a 3 car accident. At his closest he was about 6" from my bumper. How do all these idiots get licenses?
Old 08-05-2003, 03:34 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

War story:

A Lexus SUV actually made it up and over the front end of my little Nissan, coming from the right lane, speeding past and, well, over my hood and fendor. The black from the rubber was insane - all over the place and surprisingly thick.
All I got out of it was an insurance check from his carrier, no apology of any sort.
I hate to say it, but he was a skinny white guy (like me) too (going back to the story that started the thread) and was remarkably angry - red in the face - the full nine yards... yelling that I was in the fast lane and was only doing like 70. Go figure - my bad.
Traffic was so thick, I actually was moving along between 70 and 45 pinched between his SUV's rear end and the concrete wall / divider on the highway (as I slowed down, stomping the brakes in a 97 Sentra just doesn't do all that much).
Fun stuff - and "it was all my fault."
Moral is: I'm with Z-man.
Stay away - it's not worth your life, or your wife's life, or girlfriend or whatever...
I actually yank my head around now whenever I switch lanes. Better late than never, right?
Old 08-05-2003, 04:29 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Damnit. Lost my post. Well here goes again.

Ironic road rage story.

I'm a salesman and I often get calls that are kind of emergencies, overnight delivery kind of stuff, (My stuff is just materials and fairly cheap, but if they don't have it it's costing them like $200 an hour to have guys sitting around). So if I'm driving, I usually take the call, find out who it is and call them back when I find a place to pull off, or when I can get them the information they need.

So I'm driving down the road, get a call as I come up to a large 4 way intersection. I'm turning right, and right on red is legal after stopping. Oncoming lane has it's own turning lane and an arrow. See that someone is coming, but far enough away that I can pull in safely. So I take the turn.

The Lanes is basically a two lane that immediately merges to one but has room for turning and so forth so it's pretty wide. Withing seconds of making the turn I have this Volvo wagon practically side swiping me and some earth crunchy lady yelling and screaming at me. I'm like "what in the hell?" No way that I cut her off and in fact it wasn't the car that had been coming the other direction, so she must have been behind me, pulling past and screaming at me.

Finally I realized. She was almost causing an accident with me (practically ramming me) because she was pissed I was talking on the phone.

This Century is going to suck.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:22 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Well, I made up my mind. I really need paint and body work. The next time this happens I am just going to get in front of the person and slam on the breaks( if I am the only one in the car). With full coverage it means a new paint job for me. J/K
Old 08-05-2003, 05:25 PM
P944forScott
Racer

Well here in Lost Angeles we have more than our share of road rage.

Rather that add my stories of the a-holes I have met on the road I will submit my little acorn of wisdom.

As Z-man said avoidance is the best policy, if you stop to fight or have words you never know when someone will pull a gun/knife.

and what goes around comes around... It is only a matter of time before these ragging idiots **** off the wrong person (another ragging idiot)

nuff said...
Old 08-05-2003, 05:53 PM
stoked944
Racer

i would vandalize his car or house. because he seriously put your life an your girl's in danger, let alone your car. and for what. i would be so so pissed that i would at least want to make him pay. and i'm sure you do.
what a **********.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:07 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Z-man and P944forScott, a lot of the accidentsm, fatalities, and murders that result from road-rage is the result of back & forth escalation of anger and scare tactics. Eventually someone gets hurt, often times an innocent bystander. Kinda like what they taught about right-of-way when you're learning to drive, it doesn't matter how 'right' you were if you're dead.

Quick Reply: Was Almost Run Off The Road Yesterday