Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo speakers and wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 07:50 AM
Peter swallow
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stereo speakers and wiring

Hello Gang,

I need a little help with my stereo. My car is a 1984 944NA and I have 2 questions.

1. I have (2) 4x6 speakers from the rear of a 1990 944S2. They are blaupunkt with part number 944 645 461 01. When I connect them they only produce very little treble sound. They appear to be in very good shape otherwise so I'm wondering if these speakers require some sort of secondary amplifier or if they are in some way just plain no good!

2. When looking at the wires behind/under the stereo I found some that are disconneted or otherwise anonymous! There is a bundle with : a thick brown wire, a thin brown, a thin white with green stripe, a thin red with blue stripe, and a thin red with yellow stripe. The red with blue and the red with yellow are taped off. Anyone have an idea what these are for? What does the bundle supply?

Also there is a thick white wire alone in a black sheath. Any clues to its intended function?

My power antenae does not work....could one of these taped off wires be the cause?

Thanks for any input!

PS
Old 08-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Moe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 167 Posts

My speakers do the same thing. So far I have found a bad antenna plug.

When I tried to pull it out of the radio, the wire came off, I'm gonna solder on a new plug today.

If it's not too much trouble, check for continuity at the plug and the antenna base. I didn't have any, so I'm thinking the plug might be the problem.

All my speakers sound like yours. I thought the foam surrounds were gone but the speakers look fine, and v. coils show good with an ohm meter.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:33 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Peter, the early 944 is a great car and I hope you're enjoying it!

Regarding your stereo issues, you did not mention whether you still have the original receiver in the car or it has been replaced.

Unless your factory sound system has a multiple speaker option, the speakers should plug directly into the receiver via the wiring you found inside the console.

The original Blaupunkt receiver has a pretty self explanatory diagram underneath the housing that is color coded and tells you where to plug in the wires. Otherwise, IIRC the factory harness plugs themselves have letters on them for added guidance.

The thick white wire sounds like the coaxial antenna cable and must be plugged into the receiver to get reception. If your power antenna is not working, the motor may be broken and need replacing, however, it may just have been disconnected accidentally. Again, try to refer to the diagram on the bottom of the receiver for the specifics.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

If you're not getting reception, then pull out your deck, and look for a thin black wire coming out of the thick antenna cable, and connect the little one to the green wire (switched ignition) for power. This will power your FUBA antenna, and hopefully resolve your issues.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:24 AM
Peter swallow
Intermediate

Default speaker problem

Thanks everyone for replying!

Perhaps a bit more info is in order on my part.....
When I purchased the car, the original stereo unit had already been replaced. I have since purchased another unit (kenwood) which has wiring outputs for 4 speaker (L and R, Front and Rear). I had it installed and it worked fine with the (I presume) original speakers in the rear and original speakers in the front. The console mounted back to front fader control was functional as were the fader controls within the unit itself.

Since my front speakers looked so worn and rotten that I was shócked they could still produce any sound at all, I thought I would replace them with the 2 that I received from the rear of the 1990 S2. However, when I installed them they sounded terrible - faint with only treble. I then thought it had something to do with the way the stereo unit was connected so I took a look there and only got more confused! The wiring was connected such that the 8 speaker wires coming from all 4 speakers were partially spliced together such that only 4 wires were available for connection to the stereo. According to an article in the 944 Q and A , the original wiring was appropriate for 2 channel systems and if a 4 channel system was to be installed, the console fader should be disconnected and the 4 speakers connected directly to the unit. I did this and the problem persists! Could I have kept my console fader control functional after all?

As far as the antenae goes - the radio works fine. The antanea just doesn't go up or down on its own. The thick white wire can't be an extra antenae wire ?!?- or ....

Any more thoughts?

Thanks guys,

PS
Old 08-05-2003, 11:06 AM
Moe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm tired of foolin around with this junk.

I'm puttin in a NOS Blau Mesa, Unamped Fuba, 2 jbl gto 6426 and 2 gto 526. I'm yankin out all the old telephone wires and all the unneeded wire in the doors. Gonna put a meter on any wire I don't replace.
I pulled arear speaker yesterday and it was junk (rotted).

Quick Reply: Stereo speakers and wiring