Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New suspension setup needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 12:02 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New suspension setup needed

I know this has been covered a thousand times BUT. I need to replace the front and rear strut/shocks on my "new" Turbo. It is an 87 and will see a few DEs and autocrosses a year. I dont want to spend a fortune but I want something much improved over stock. I could care less about ride on the street, I have a 5 series BM if I want to get there "plush". My last 944 ran 450 lb front springs and I never really complained about it, for instance. Looking on the internet what I see is the Koni's, which I had on my last 944, and never really liked all that much. There are Bilsteins for the rear almost anywhere but I havent seen fronts. The Leda kit looks very attractive but might be a tad bit more than I am willing to spend. Because of money that would leave out the Penskes, etc.

The benefit I see to the Konis is I can shop with Paragon and buy the clutch stuff at the same time, maybe even some brake parts (wont know until tomorrow).

I am the kind of person who likes to try new stuff though and since I have had the Konis I would like to try something new. KLA has a nice looking rear setup but nothing for the front. Anyone know of something new to try?
Old 08-04-2003, 12:07 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not "new" persay, but Lindseyracing does sell Bilstein coilovers for the front and rear. http://www.lindseyracing.com
Old 08-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Z-man
Race Director

I am thinking about upgrading my suspension too. I think I got a little too much body lean:

However, if I tighten up the front too much, then I'll have understeer issues!

Here are my plans:
- Current setup: sport suspension option from facotry (Koni adjustables) + 19mm M030 968 3-way adjustable rear sway.

Stage one upgrade:
- Turbo Cup sway bar upgrade front (30mm, IIRC) and rear (22mm iirc)

Stage two upgrade:
- Replace original springs with new stock set.

Stage three upgrade:
- Coil-overs: most likely 600lbs front, + 150lbs springs rear (helper springs) and keep rear torsion bars.

Of course, my phases will take a few years to accomplish: I am a big proponent of taking things one slow step at a time...

For me, as long as I can keep the tires on the tarmac, body lean doesn't worry me: too often decreasing body lean results in increased understeer!

HTH,
-Z-man.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:27 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Anyone know why my {img}...{/img} isn't working?!?
Old 08-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Z-man
For your stage 3 setup you'll have to bump up that helper spring rate a lot. With my new Bilstein Cup(see other thread) setup I run 600 front and 500 rear w/ the bars set to neutral in back.

Don't waste money on new stock springs or struts/shocks. Its best to just bite the bullet, gets some Bilsteins with some stiff springs, reindex the T-bars, and replace all the bushings with Poly & monoballs. Makes all the difference in the world on track.

Quick Reply: New suspension setup needed