Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Acura or Porsche
Keep the Acura, Save For the Future
24.32%
Get the Porsche, Live Life a Little
75.68%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Porsche or No Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 04:42 AM
mr_mbuna
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Porsche or No Porsche?

Hello all,

I currently drive a 1995 Acura Integra LS 4-door 5-speed which I have modified with just about every bolt-on performance mod possible. I have invested over $6000 aftermarket into this car, and were I to part the mods out I expect I would only return 50% of their purchase price. The car itself is worth about $5,000 stock, today, in outstanding condition with its 150,000 miles.

I am debating with myself whether to keep the Integra and save my money >> I am a senior in high school << or sell the Integra, take the hit on depreciation, and get a real sports car . Were I to save my money I would be putting it to a decidedly better use - an adult friend has recommended that I purchase a house when I go to college, use my savings to put 5% down, and cover the monthly payment by renting out all the extra rooms in the house to other students.

I autocross and intend to attend HPDE's and driving schools. I'm interested in the Turbo body style - kind of a stickler on the deal for me - so that limits me to a 951 or a 944S2. On the one hand, the 951 has serious potential on the cheap but power is dangerous for someone my age (or anyone...) and the 951 starts out more expensive and with higher maintenance costs. I believe the 944 S2 is the one that interests me most - enough stock power to be fast but not too fast - unless you guys want to change my mind.

The Integra is in no way a bad car - I am very lucky to have a car that puts a smile on my face every time I look out the window because of its design and then warms my soul when I "take the long way home". However it is a bit down on power - probably in the 155 hp (flywheel) range with my mods - and is a 4-door body style and is FF (front engine front wheel drive).

Okay, I've rambled enough. Do you think its a good idea for me to move into a P-car at this point in my life? Thoughts? The questions on maintenance costs and purchasing research suggestions etc. will come later after I've decided to do it or not.

I'm going to cross-post this in the general forum too, if you'll bear with me. Just trying to get maximum coverage. Thanks.

Thanks,
Ben
Maryland
Old 08-02-2003, 05:01 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tough question.

The sensible, short answer is no.

The longer answer is, why not drive a little more out of those $6K in mods before taking a bath on changing cars?

Of course we're all a bit biased toward Porsches here and if your personal finances were of no concern, I'd say just do whatever feels right to you, but knowing that it's going to cost money.

With the 944S2 you're very limited in modification options, but it does have 200+ HP right out of the box, and would probably be a satisfying car for you. OTOH, the 951s can be extensively modified and I suspect that's what you would enjoy most, given your history with the Integra.

Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 08-02-2003, 05:09 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Whadda ya know! I'm a senior too :P I just got my 951 2 weeks ago (after owning a 924 and 931). I love it. My friend has a '99 Integra that he payed $8500 for with 65000 miles. I payed $4450 (has a slavage title because someone stole the car and put a minor dent in it) with 104000 miles on it. Needless to say, my P-Car does circles around his... If you can find a good price on a 951 (especially since you live on the east coast) and are not afraid to do some repairs down the road, you can still save your money I would recommend getting the Porsche and of the Porsche line I would get a 951 (I'm also biased) :P

Chris
Old 08-02-2003, 05:54 AM
Jessa
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm about to give you some very bad advice, so pay attention! You're about to (hopefully!) have a damn good time in college. You do not yet have to support children, be respectable, or do much of anything besides get food and shelter. In four years, responsibility will kick-in big time, so enjoy this time while it lasts and get the Porsche!
Old 08-02-2003, 05:56 AM
mr_mbuna
AutoX

I've always read that its almost certain that in the end you'll spend the least by buying the best 944 you can find up front. Are there exceptions to this rule, and where should I look?

What is insurance like for the male under-25 crowd? The Integra is one of the most stolen cars in the country and rates reflect it but to the Insurance Co. my car is still a 4-door base model Honda with the slow engine and therefore my rates are a bit lower than average.
Luis, true, maybe I should try to get more mileage out of my mods. On the other hand they're only getting more worthless every day.

How reliable are the 951's once modified to put out 300+ whp? I'll be autocrossing regularly but not drag racing.

I know these cars are getting into the 14 - 15 year old range... will an S2 or 951 take kindly to being DRIVEN, every day? I can count on taking my Integra to 6,000 rpm at least once per day (6800 rpm redline; 7100 rpm cutoff) and with 149,000 miles on the clock tommorrow (I'll take a pic!) she can't get enough.

Ben
Old 08-02-2003, 05:58 AM
mr_mbuna
AutoX

Jessa... I hate you. Thanks for the (un)reality check. I'll start really pricing what I can get out of my Integra immediatly. The numbers will make the numbers for me.

Keep the comments coming.

Ben
Old 08-02-2003, 06:25 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

No responsibility in college? Is that why I'm up right now writing a paper? HA!

Anyway, a 300rwhp 944 turbo can be reliable. Power is addicting though, and you never have enough... I do believe that an S2 would probably be more reliable compared to a 951, but neither would really compare to an integra IMO. I would compromise and either consider a really nice 8v non turbo, or not get a 944. That's just me, then again you only live once.

BTW, the 944 in your avatar is a nice one (non turbo), if you'd like to see more pics of it, click on my sig!
Ahmet
Old 08-02-2003, 06:46 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Keep the acura for a daily driver and use the pcar on the weekends, when money allows it comfortably. I drive a 1991 civic as my daily and my 944S2 for (((FUN))). Make sure to get a well inspected 944.

My insurance cost me nearly 3000k a year age 25 40% discount so far!! Pricey not to mention the maintenance I have put into it. If you got the $$$$ to burn do it!
Old 08-02-2003, 07:11 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

On average, the S2 makes a better daily driver than a modified 951. I got my first 944 while in college and probably would have taken more fancy spring and fall break vacations if I hadn't been buying so many Porsche parts to maintain my car .
Old 08-02-2003, 07:12 AM
mr_mbuna
AutoX

Its sort of an all or nothing deal. The most I could afford to spend without returning the Integra to stock or selling it altogether would be $2500. Which won't buy anything.

So then the question becomes, 944S2 = Daily Driver, does this equation work?

Ben
Old 08-02-2003, 07:23 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by mr_mbuna
So then the question becomes, 944S2 = Daily Driver, does this equation work?
If the timing/balance belts and waterpump check out and the cam chain tensioner is OK, you're looking at a pretty rock solid driver. I've driven my S2 for 1,000 miles at a sitting and no problems. They're amazing cars.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:44 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm interested in the Turbo body style - kind of a stickler on the deal for me - so that limits me to a 951 or a 944S2.
You can have mine for $5000

Old 08-02-2003, 11:57 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Sell the Acura and pay too much for the Porsche so that you'll help jack the prices up.

Last edited by ELLSSUU; 08-02-2003 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:58 PM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

is that an n/a travis?
Old 08-02-2003, 02:18 PM
dave120
Drifting

Yeah Travis's car has a real turbo front on it..very nice.

The S2 is as reliable as any other car as long as you keep up with the maintenance. Mine has 154k on the clock and runs like day one. And I don't drive her lightly! All in all in the going on 3 years I've had it I've put just over $1k on it (exclusing mods) and all of that wasn't even necessary. Along the lines of 1 BJ went bad, I replaced both control arms ($600) and 1 PS line was messed up, so I replaced them all plus the resevoir. Timing belt job is coming up soon so I ordered all the rollers, tensioner, belts, etc when I really don't need to change it all. But I figure go in once or go in again later right?

This car has been a daily driver all its life until last December when I got another car just to keep the miles off the S2. Sold that car last week, so now it's my daily again...never left me stranded yet! And people that say you won't spend a lot on/can't upgrade the S2 are lying There's always things you do..bigger brakes, suspension mods, cosmetic mods...on a turbo you tend to go at the motor first, whereas on the S2 you won't besides maybe a K&N filter and an aftermarket exaust and a chip..that's about all you'll get out of her for a reasonable price, but it's enough to keep me from going out and buying a turbo.

Really you can't go wrong with any 944 for the fun factor. If you're going to autoX or DE, you're going to have a blast no matter which one you're in!

Quick Reply: Porsche or No Porsche?