Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a stripped 944 race car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 04:48 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

nice pics dan,ill be doing the same 2marrow.first by taking off the carpet and dynomat.then after painting it with a coat of krylon or something...
Old 08-14-2003, 05:10 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been attacking the inside with an angle grinder and a wire cup brush still... its as good as it gets i guess and im painting it with a wurth paint next week, who the hells knows how the guys at the shop will feel about stripping undercoating. if i can convince them huntley is right about his ~100# they might let me... wont there be a rust issue though since the grinder will take the under side of the car to bare metal?

i also saved approx. 5 lbs by shaving my head tonight
.... anyone who has known be in person for any period of time knows how crazy that decision was.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

When removing undercoating with an angle grinder and stiff wire cup, you will find that if you use the right touch, you can remove the undercoating and not push through the primer. On my car, I was able to remove most of the undercoating without removing the underlying primer coat. There were only a couple of places where I used too much pressure and stripped off some primer.

Give it a try and let us know how it works out for you. As you probably know, make sure to wear good eye protection and a good respirator. And, to keep the mess in control, you could hang plastic sheets around the vehicle to keep the undercoating from flying all over the shop.

Regarding weight removal, I think the 100 pound number is high. Whoever came up with that number must have been including some other material than just the undercoating itself. Or, maybe they were smoking the track pipe when they weighed the stuff . . .

Jeff
Old 08-14-2003, 11:26 AM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Once the tub is stripped, I would not recommend using the cheap Krylon spray bomb paint or anything like it. That stuff is just not durable enough. It will scrape off easily, smell bad when it gets hot, look bad, not prevent corrosion, etc, etc. I would recommend finding someone to spray on some POR 15 or some other very durable coating that resists heat, chemicals, abrasion, corrosion, etc. In a pinch, I understand that POR 15 can even be applied with a brush.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Anyone with a stripped 944 race car?