Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a stripped 944 race car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 11:23 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you take the body off? i bet that'd save alot of weight. just a frame and roll bars would be really sweet

remember folks, having fiberglass saves weight but having nothing saves a whole lot more
Old 08-04-2003, 02:30 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

john- sorry about the m6 thing, i should have brought my 951 but that suspension is still making me angry, you can also yell at adrial because he should be m4 now but he was off driving a honda or something insted... loser

andrew saw the car last week so he can tell you how stripped it is inside :P

adrial- ...or i can just lay a sheet over the current hatch and turn on the defrosters to warm it up and mold the lexan!

oh and an update on the made my own quarter windows thing, they didnt fit quite right so one of the other guys at the shop smashed them in.... ill be making a new set on monday
Old 08-04-2003, 02:31 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Originally posted by dualblade
can you take the body off? i bet that'd save alot of weight. just a frame and roll bars would be really sweet

remember folks, having fiberglass saves weight but having nothing saves a whole lot more
there was talk of turning it into a cab.... i think it was russ' idea, you can picture him holding the grinder saying that right?

i also havent gotten an official ruling on running with no hatch at all
Old 08-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

I’m having a vision of Dan at the next event. Two wheels strapped to his feet like roller skates with a steering wheel in one hand and a shift **** in the other. Now that’s weight reduction.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:52 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by adrial
Ken,

Wasn't GT-racing bumper-delete a factory option? I could've sworn...

John's car has this rare option and we all know what a purist he is...

On a more serious note...Ken if you really wany to push the stock class to the absolute limit...how about installing euro front and rear bumpers? They're stock...just not in this country.
Yeah, that's it. There was a 944 GT2 wasn't there? All fiberglass, with a 968 motor... yeah ... and it should run in S3 .... yeah ...

The euro bumper in pretty interesting. I wonder what they weigh compared to the US bumper. I don't think they're fiberglass, but I could be wrong. Something worth looking into.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:58 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,404 Likes on 519 Posts

I be curious what my car weighs..I have a single fiberglass race seat and I have no rear carpet/sound deadnig material and have relaced teh front end with just a turbo bumper cover...no heavy lights or aluminum....I have to be in the 2600 area...
Old 08-04-2003, 05:46 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

my 944-spec car is 2626 with me in it and 23 lbs balast & stock passenger's seat.

If you remove my weight with driving suit (170lbs) and Ballast & seat (53 lbs) The car comes down to 2400 lbs.

I still have operating power windows, stock body panels and factory glass & of course a roll cage. Also is dash, blower motor and heater box. Being a bit more agressive I could get to 2300 without going lexan or fiberglass if wanted. I am limited to a 2600 lbs min spec class weight anyway.

Don't forget undercoatings & lightweight batteries
Old 08-04-2003, 06:23 PM
Sami951
Drifting

Originally posted by Ken
The euro bumper in pretty interesting. I wonder what they weigh compared to the US bumper. I don't think they're fiberglass, but I could be wrong. Something worth looking into.
They are some sort of fiberglass indeed. I know this, having backed into a tree... no clue how heavy or light they are, I'd guess 20lbs or less but don't quote me on that.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Sami951
They are some sort of fiberglass indeed. I know this, having backed into a tree... no clue how heavy or light they are, I'd guess 20lbs or less but don't quote me on that.
Yeah, doing some searches showed that the Euro front and rear are fiberglass. It is something like the US front is 48 and the Euro is 17. A similar difference in the rear. And the US bumper shocks(3 lbs) are replaced with solid mounts(8oz). So maybe 50lbs between the two of them. GT Racing has them for 190 each. What I'd like to get is the 924 Carrera GT front. It's a one piece combo bumper and front spoiler. 6 lbs for the whole thing and $500. Although that might push me out of stock. I gotta email the autocross chair about it when I get more serious.

Anybody know anything about lightweight carpet sets? I'm looking to shave some weight there and I've never seen anything about it. Time for more searches.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:52 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Ken

Anybody know anything about lightweight carpet sets? I'm looking to shave some weight there and I've never seen anything about it. Time for more searches.
Just pull the insulation and sound prooffing out from under the carpets. Then put the carpets back. The carpets themselves are not super heavy, but the insulation is.

Old 08-04-2003, 07:59 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Originally posted by Wormhole
I’m having a vision of Dan at the next event. Two wheels strapped to his feet like roller skates with a steering wheel in one hand and a shift **** in the other. Now that’s weight reduction.
gotta drill speed holes in the steering wheel and the stock shifter is too heavy!

btw my new hand made quarter windows are done
Old 08-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Originally posted by M758
my 944-spec car is 2626 with me in it and 23 lbs balast & stock passenger's seat.

If you remove my weight with driving suit (170lbs) and Ballast & seat (53 lbs) The car comes down to 2400 lbs.

I still have operating power windows, stock body panels and factory glass & of course a roll cage. Also is dash, blower motor and heater box. Being a bit more agressive I could get to 2300 without going lexan or fiberglass if wanted. I am limited to a 2600 lbs min spec class weight anyway.

Don't forget undercoatings & lightweight batteries
so if i go under the car and scrape off coating how much will it weigh? hell this car is old i bet there is 100lbs of road tar stuck under it.... but that sounds like the kind of job that will **** off everyone in the shop for days

also i have an optima battery but i havent put it in yet, still a regular battery in there right now
Old 08-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

What I'd like to get is the 924 Carrera GT front.
Ken, I have one laying around that I've been meaning to put on e-bay. Since your local you'll save a ton on shipping if your interested.

If the 944 is the same as the 951, the carpet itself doesn't weigh much at all. It's all of the crap under the carpet that weighs a ton. 50lbs and 2 hefty bags, but I think you said you removed the sound deadening material already.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:09 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

so if i go under the car and scrape off coating how much will it weigh?
I think it was Derrek who said 100lbs. Sounds like a lot though, and not something I want to do for a street "sometimes" car.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:12 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

john if he doesnt want the 924 cgt front let me know i may be interested.... i had just decided today i was going to put the clear headlights on this car and lose the popups, right now it has a 951 nose but maybe i can convince the guys at the shop we need a carrera gt nose.

Quick Reply: Anyone with a stripped 944 race car?