Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY 87 944 S

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 07:19 PM
canadianz31
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY 87 944 S

Hey all

Sean here new to rennlist, and new to the 944. I have kind of fallen in love with the 944 after buying my first 87 944S a few months ago. Its kind of been a good luck, bad luck story but all in all I have come to love the 944. Been a car guy ever sins buying my first car at 17. My list of car so far in order are 86 Nissan 300zx, 87 Nissan 300zx, 89 Nissan 240sx. Right now I just have my 93 mustang GT 5.0, and the 87 944s.

Ok so long story short few months ago I went on a trip to buy a 86 300zx turbo, but when I got there the cars underside was infested with rust. Had been looking at adds for a few 944's in the same area and decided to take a look at a beautiful blue one. It was a little rought in a few areas could use a little body work for a few little rust spots here and their and fresh paint, but looked pretty decent still. And to me at the time the under side looked fine having been undercoated, one spot was pushed in where the jack is supposed to go. Did my best to look at the underside but didn’t put it up on a lift, my bad. But loved the color and it had a matching blue Porsche interior, and the M030 with front koni coilovers and Brembo 4pot fixed brakes. So I bought it. I get it home an drop it off at the shop I deal with to get a provincial safety done on it. So I get the bad news is that the floor is soft on the drivers side and undercoat is hiding a rust issue. If that wasn’t enough about 3 weeks later I am driving into town with it and look in my rear view mirror and see nothing but smoke. So I think awesome wheel bearing or something like that. Come to a stop and realize the smokes coming from the engine bay. I open the hood and flames from around the exhaust manifold, I manage to get it put out right away thank god. Looks like a leaking oil line, and the oil is down. But no major damage caused from the fire. So so far bad luck.

But for the 3 weeks I drove the car I loved it. The 944S is probably one the best handling cars I have driven. Only complaint is its tight to get in and out of with the sport seats and none adjustable steering, for a big oil field guy like me. So it look’s like this will be my first complete Porsche restoration project. I am a little frustrated about my luck with this car, but feel I need to completely rebuild this car an give it a new leas on life. So heres a few pictures of the my first Porsche. Honestly probably going to buy another 944 very soon to drive around until this project is completed.

Hope you all like.

these are the pics from the add posted by the guy I bought the car from. Damn beautiful even with the bad luck ive had, im still glad I made this my first Porsche!!!

sean
Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2014, 07:27 PM
canadianz31
Track Day

The car came with 2 set of rims one set with summer rubber, and the set already on the car were winter tires. Managed to spend a day driving through a National park just north of where I live here in Canada. Riding Mountain National Park is always a good weekend drive. Was a fun day absolutly love driving this car.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An S? if this is an S but has that front end and the 4 piston brakes it has been modded. Have an engine shot? Sure its not an S2? I love the color, nice car!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:27 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Beautiful car. Welcome to the forum
Old 04-18-2014, 08:36 PM
canadianz31
Track Day

No engine shot right now, but it has the 16V 2.5 engine in it. I was curious about the options that are on it because as far as ive come across in researching these cars the S would not have these options. I had my local Porsche run the VIN# and it came up as an S, but dose not show that it has the M030 option. Im still learning about these cars so bare with me. The History I know so far is that the previous owner had the car sins 2008 so for about 6 years, and that he got the car as it is when I bought it he never modded anything on the car.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:49 PM
mhariush
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

does the engine look something like this? Note the air filter box and the

You definitely don't have the stock S front bumper or calipers. And I have never seen a blue leather/vinyl interior like that. Looks like it was custom made, but maybe not...

The S2 came out in 89 so if it really is an 87 it must be an S.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:22 PM
canadianz31
Track Day

The engine bay looks the same, but there is no air box. I fogot to mention the only engine mod is a cone filter and adapter on the MAF. It is hard to see in the picture but the seat have "Porsche" written on the cloth center part of the seat both front an back. This leads me to believe that it comes from the factor like this, as the cloth portion is also a light blue. But there not specific notation of these option when they ran my VIN# at my local Porsche dealer. But the Parts manager at the dealer said back in the 80's they never had the computer system they have now, where any custom options ordered are permanently attached to that specific cars VIN# on the Porsche system. And in all my looking I have not come across another 944 with this paint and matching interior. My though are to find what Dealer originally sold this 944, and see if they might have any old documentation on this car still. Any suggestion on how to definitely find out the History and options ordered on the car from the factory?
Old 04-18-2014, 09:31 PM
mhariush
Racer

yeah I saw that it has the script insert, but that could probably have been dyed to match. But who knows Looks like a very clean car.

Did you check the option sticker? It's usually in the Owners Manual or Warranty Manual, if you still have it. If not, there should be a sticker behind the hatch carpet, on the metal above the driver side taillight.

show more pics
Old 04-18-2014, 09:41 PM
canadianz31
Track Day

Thanks for the info on the options sticker, the cars still at the shop. Ill be at the shop next week, ill take a look. oh the other weird thing is that carpet in the front is Black, it was changed out when the guy i bought the car from bought it from the pervious owner. But that hatch carper is Faded light blue.

these are the only other pics I have of the car right now, but I can take more next week. I will take a engine shot for sure.
Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2014, 09:43 PM
mhariush
Racer

And I see your door cards are black too, as well as the center console. Maybe someone had some fun with updating the colors. but it looks good, and colorful. As long as you're happy with it!

I have a stock 87 S myself, but it's sitting in my garage with an electrical issue and won't start.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:05 PM
canadianz31
Track Day

The arm rest is blue also. other than what ive mentioned as blue the rest of the interior is black. love the car sadly just had a bit of bad luck with the car. But will soon be stripping the car an doing a frame up build.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:06 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet.
Sure looks like an S2.
Pic of engine or tach will tell us for sure.
Maybe a pic or listing of the options sticker if you are so inclined- tell us how it began its life.
Best of luck, and welcome aboard!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:33 PM
canadianz31
Track Day

had a picture of the dash an gauges on my phone. so here you go. ill take a bunch of pics Monday when i go to the shop.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2014, 12:01 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

The car looks really nice!! What was the original color of the car?? I love the sport seats!! Those are scarce as hen's teeth and an amazing addition!! When you get a chance, write down and post your option code sticker or take a pic of it and post it up. Would be interesting to see what you've got there!!
Old 04-19-2014, 12:24 AM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by canadianz31
had a picture of the dash an gauges on my phone. so here you go. ill take a bunch of pics Monday when i go to the shop.
Hmmm....thanks - unfortunately i can't quite tell if the redline is 6800 (which would pretty conclusively make it an S).
Steering wheel looks like 1987 to me, at least for USA cars.
Looking forward to more pics!

Last edited by gtroth; 04-19-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: MY 87 944 S