Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any California stereo experts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 03:44 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any California stereo experts?

My car originally had the 10 speaker option, but the POs seem to have removed several front speakers. I need decent component speakers to put in the doors; I am not an audiophile, and the speakers will be driven by a 45 W by 4 channel CD player, not a separate amp. Subwoofers are also not in my future. Rear speakers will stay stock for now.

Based on my searches, both MQ Quart and Infinity Kappa 5 1/4" two way component speakers seem like they would meet my needs. (Yes, I would use the new crossovers and just disconnect the stock 3" speakers.) Can anyone recommend which model number MB Quart or Infinity speakers will fit? Will a 1" tweeter fit my door under the stock grill? The different MB Quart sets come with either 0.5", 0.75" or 1" tweeters.

MB Quart are very hard to find in Canada, and I would have to order them in at full list price. Lots are available on E-Bay at big discounts, but the Ebay sellers don't ship to Canada. However, I will be in Costa Mesa (Orange County CA) later in August. Is there a recommended discount audio place where I could buy these speakers at similar prices to Ebay and carry them back with me?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Last edited by Waterguy; 08-01-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Anyone?
Old 08-01-2003, 03:23 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Car audio unfortunately can often be a trial and error process, especially when it comes to older cars like ours with a limited market.

I wish I could recommend a specific Quart product to fit the factory front panels; try doing a search of the forums and you will probably find some old info.

You don't necessarily have to go with the underlying plastic mounting plate for the 10 speaker option; it's a pretty flimsy mounting scheme. On my similarly-equipped S2, I have created fiberboard panels to mount in the place of the plastic OEM plate, which in my case was falling apart badly on the driver's side, and also to some degree on the other. Factory grille assembly hides it all regardless.

I have 2 4x6 speakers in each plate wired in parallel to yield 2 ohms to my Rockford amp; you could just as easily put only one typical 4 ohm speaker (5" or 4x6) in such a homemade board, to hook up to your head unit. Put some foam around the back of the board to act as a baffle for your speaker and it should work fine with little work. With some creativity a tweeter should fit either under the lower grille or the upper dedicated tweeter grille.

Regards Al
Old 08-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you have anyone in the US that you can ship the stuff to and than have sent to you?
Old 08-01-2003, 04:09 PM
xcessiv
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck, I 'd be willing to drive up something half way, or maybe even the whole way, just for kicks.

Caveat, you will have trouble driving a good set of compnents off the dck. The nominal power of the head unit is always overstated. The MB Quarts are pretty accurate in their rating, and underpowered speakers don't really perform like they should.

In the 10 speaker setup, are the woofers for the fornt round? Are they 5.25"? There are often decent MB Quarts on ebay in this size/price range.

If you can find me a euro front bumper for my 924 (rumour has it this can be found in CAN) I'll trade with you for a set of good speaks.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Jessa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're not an audiophile, I'd recommend getting the Infinity Reference instead of Kappa. Its still a very good speaker, but less expensive. I've got four of them and am very happy with the sound quality. If you drive them off the head unit and don't plan to add any more sound insulation to the car, its going to be difficult to tell the difference between very good and excellent.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:03 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

This post has been deleted due to it's blatent disregard of the self promotion rules associated with this community. You can access the rules here: http://www.rennlist.org/charter.htm and https://rennlist.com/nospam.htm .

Old 08-01-2003, 08:33 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Al, that's an interesting idea. I would like to keep the outwards appearance stock and keep (replace) the tweeters in their original position, but making a backing board might make sense.

Marc, there are companies in Blaine I can have it shipped to if I need to. Good idea.

Xcessiv, the front door speakers in the 10 speaker option are 5 1/4" round, 3" round and 1"?" tweeter, with a three-way crossover. Most advice seems to be to just go with a 2-way component syystem with the new cross-over. The deck is a Clarion, rated at 4x45 watts. That matches well with the power rating of the MB Quart speakers, which are fairly sensitive (92 dB iirc), so should work well at lower power. Don't know about the euro 924 nose; if you can locate it I could help you obtain/ship it.

Jessa, that's exactly the kind of feedback I need; I can find the Infinity speakers up here much more commonly than the MB Quart. I was being seduced by the low prices of the MB Quart sets on Ebay.

Eric, thanks for the lead. I will be down about August 16 (flying, not driving. ) I will probably drop in then. Have you done installs on a 944 with the 10 speaker option?
Old 08-01-2003, 09:40 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Last edited by Cyrus951; 10-28-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Any California stereo experts?