Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Axle/CV Replacement Advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 04:23 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 951 Axle/CV Replacement Advise

I snapped one of my axles last fall on my 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo and ordered two GKN Loebro replacements (whole 1/2 axle, axle and CV joints) from 944 Online a while back ago figuring I would just do them both. My mechanical experience is from street rods/muscle cars and I have never replaced a CV joint or half axle and thought I would ask if there is anything to look out for or pay attention to when do it. I will be replacing seals as well.

I am assuming after disconnecting from wheel hubs and already having unbolted from transaxle axle hub that it will pull off and I just repeat process in reverse order after having packed CVs with CV joint grease. Since I have never greased a CV joint but packed plenty of bearings in my day is there anything special about that? In addition what torque setting in Imperial units should I use when tightening bolts?

Sorry for bone head question, but I have a busy schedule and don't want to do it wrong the first time and have to do it over again. I am trying to get my feet wet on maintenance on this car to save myself money, plan on tackling the AC unit next! LOL Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:00 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.clarks-garage.com
Old 03-21-2014, 05:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

6 bolts per end, per axle, 8mm cheesehead/triplesquare bit, unbolt and the whole thing will pop out. no splines to mess with.

just jam a metric a**-load of CV grease into the joints and boots, and maybe a fingerful into each drive flange (transmission flange and wheel side) and bolt back up, 30 or 40ftlbs or something like that
Old 03-21-2014, 05:09 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAllusionist
I snapped one of my axles last fall on my 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo and ordered two GKN Loebro replacements (whole 1/2 axle, axle and CV joints) from 944 Online a while back ago figuring I would just do them both. My mechanical experience is from street rods/muscle cars and I have never replaced a CV joint or half axle and thought I would ask if there is anything to look out for or pay attention to when do it. I will be replacing seals as well.

I am assuming after disconnecting from wheel hubs and already having unbolted from transaxle axle hub that it will pull off and I just repeat process in reverse order after having packed CVs with CV joint grease. Since I have never greased a CV joint but packed plenty of bearings in my day is there anything special about that? In addition what torque setting in Imperial units should I use when tightening bolts?

Sorry for bone head question, but I have a busy schedule and don't want to do it wrong the first time and have to do it over again. I am trying to get my feet wet on maintenance on this car to save myself money, plan on tackling the AC unit next! LOL Have a great weekend everyone!
Check out these videos too:

But if you bought complete axles I'd expect them to be ready to go. The ones I bought from Pelican were like that, already packed...I just installed them.

Installing them is mostly self-explanatory as you have guessed, just unbolt the old ones, bolt on the new ones, but there are a couple things to watch out for:

* you're supposed to use new bolts, as they stretch when torqued fully

* the triple square bolt heads are notoriously easy to strip, so take precautions: use a top quality bit, clean out the heads with carb cleaner and a pick, and give each one a tap with a hammer before trying to break it loose.

* removing the complete axle from the passenger side is a bit of a puzzle but you do not need to remove anything else to make room, you just need to get the inboard end up high enough to make room to free up the outer end.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:20 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also make sure that you don't have grease in the bolt holes. These bolts WILL back out if not installed correctly. Some use lock wire or locking clips to make sure they don't back out.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:08 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate it and thanks for the links. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Old 03-23-2014, 03:57 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

This is the best information I've found on the topic:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post1922501

Good luck,
Rich

Quick Reply: 951 Axle/CV Replacement Advise