Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so tonight was the start of my huge project (now with pictures!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 12:24 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so tonight was the start of my huge project (now with pictures!)

huge project (for me at least) being:

motor mounts
clutch
flywheel
turbo s transmission swap

tonight i:

- took the exhaust off (cat and catback)
- took the axles off (thank you snap-on for such a wonderful no strip tool). i can't believe those bolts don't strip cause i had to put a decent amount of torque into them
- took all the tranny bolts out (yeah all 4 of them)
- detached the linkage from the tranny

so now i'm looking at the clamping sleeve that holds the tranny's shaft and the torque tube together. seems like a real pain in the *** cause there's not much room in there to be able to get a good throw with a ratchet. i prefer doing allens with my allen socket set than with the wrenches. for some reason bolts seem to strip more easily when i use the wrenches. one of those slick mac 0 degree ratchets would sure do the trick here but buying tools is damn expensive. someday i will own a 3/8" and 1/4" of those i think. until then i'm just going to have to buy a cheapo stubby ratchet to fit in there or i'll figure something out.

tomorrow i finish that up and move on (hopefully without having the tranny fall on me) so wish me luck

Last edited by dualblade; 07-29-2003 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:40 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did that I just used a long extension, and had plenty of room. No problems with stripping, and I wasn't using top of the line allen sockets. I just had to rotate the motor 180* to access both bolts. Your transmission may be different externally, but I'd think that if you could get your hand up in there you'd be able to use an extension.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:06 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

oh geez, it hadn't even occured to me to do that. yeah, i think if i rotate the motor then i can put the bolt in a much better place. is it easy to turn it?
Old 07-29-2003, 01:08 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Get a 24mm socket, and pull the spark plugs. Then it's very easy because there's no compression to resist. It would help to have two people for this part, but not neccesary, so you can line it up exactly.

Just don't do what I did and leave the breaker bar on when you go to start it!
Old 07-29-2003, 01:11 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

The procedure to do it easily... leave the four tranny bolts in, pull the TWO bolts out of the sleeve on the torque tube shaft. They are opposite of each other and the front one is located in the smaller round hole just foreward of the larger access hole in the bellhousing. You will need a long extension to get them with a allen socket, but prove to be the bet way, and also a 24mm on the crank bolt to turn it to the locations for access to the two bolts. Then use a long screwdriver or pry bar to slide the sleeve back, push it towards the tranny, it's the easiest way. You do have to completely remove the two bolts to slide it. Now you remove your tranny bolts and drop it out. Be careful not to bend the shift linkage, don't let it drop too hard on the lever bar. Good luck
Old 07-29-2003, 01:11 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by dualblade
oh geez, it hadn't even occured to me to do that. yeah, i think if i rotate the motor then i can put the bolt in a much better place. is it easy to turn it?
When I've done this, I just put the transmission in neutral and got a helper to push in the clutch while I rotated the shaft and coupler by hand. Then just release the clutch pedal when you want the shaft to not rotate.

Rob
Old 07-29-2003, 01:12 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oops, beat me to the post, you get the idea tho, good luck
Old 07-29-2003, 01:12 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

as far as the linkage goes, can i remove it by pulling it into the interior of the car? i know i can't completely, but i figured maybe i could pull it forward enough so that it's out of it's little tunnel in the tranny. i was going to try that tomorrow. i've got it disconnected from the tranny itself but haven't pulled the shifter apart (but i do know how to do that already).

so far, as much as any other project, it doesn't seem that difficult. just a bunch of work really. i find that the way cars go together just seems like common sense when i take a look at it. i'm doing this without a manual cause i really dont' think i'll be needing it. i'm just going to look at it later for torque specs when it all goes back together.

as a side question, has anyone ever replaced the axle bolts with a regular 6 sided bolt as opposed to the cheesehead type? i have all new bolts to put in so i'm not worried about old bolts stripping. i guess i just wonder why porsche uses bolts like that in the first place. i think they use allens way to often also
Old 07-29-2003, 01:43 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

To remove the linkage, disasseble the shifter and pull it into the car. It should pull out far enough to clear the tranny.

The hardest part about this whole project (getting to the clutch) is putting the transmission back in if you don't have the right equipment. Everything else is pretty straight forward and simple.

I know new pressure plate bolts, which are originally the 12-point ones, are allen bolts. I really don't know the benifits and differences between them though. A word of caution, if you strip a pressure plate bolt just drill the head off. DO NOT use an extractor, because it will probably crack and cause you to ahve to do about 3-4 hours wort of drilling instead of 10 minutes.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:58 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

tightened mine the other nite, i just shoved a crow bar on the clutch and climbed underneath, so i could rotate the shaft w/o having to have help or mess around.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:06 AM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I've got this nifty tool that holds the pedal down for you, thats how I do it. Ohh yeah I love my Mac 0 deg rachets I bought em first week they were out I loved the engineering samples they brought around!
Old 07-29-2003, 02:31 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

i think i will just hit the clutch to disengage the torque tube/tranny. i'm working with a friend for alot of this and besides, i could always just wedge something in there if i need to or grab a helper for a minute. just seems like it's easier to do this than to pull the spark plugs and rotate the engine. man, i can't wait to finish this stuff up and have the car on the road cause it's going to feel so different. i've got worn syncros, a very slippy clutch, mounts that are terrible (motor and tranny i think, they're both getting replaced), and one axle that's destroyed and getting replaced. maybe i'll tackle suspension stuff next when i get some money. i really need some new fronts and some koni adjustables sound just right
Old 07-29-2003, 03:45 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

there is an autocross sunday, hurry up.... i may be driving a new car
Old 07-29-2003, 10:00 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

well i don't think that's how i want to break in my equipment :P

driving a new car? do you mean you've done alot of work on yours so it feels new, or an actually new car?
Old 07-29-2003, 10:56 AM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

don't forget you need to remove the flywheel sensor or it's bracket if it doesn't come out...it common to break these on a clutch job

Quick Reply: so tonight was the start of my huge project (now with pictures!)