Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IceShark's deadcell lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 10:26 PM
qoncept944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IceShark's deadcell lights

I just got my new light sockets and bulbs for the dead cells in the tail lights from IceShark, along with a new starter solenoid. First impression was of course the packing, which was top notch. Thanks

I got the lights installed. Along with the nice wire and the spade connectors, it took about 20 minutes and I was good to go. The worst part was trying to get the driver's side fixture back in place -- it didn't have quite enough clearance because of how the floorboard was designed to allow for the gas tank. After some coaxing I got it in place and I was good to go.

Here's a picture -- it turned out about how I expected. Can anyone tell me how to take pictures of lights when its dark out?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:30 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think that you did a pretty good job of taking that pic in the darkness....one thing that helps is a tripod - or a reallllly steady surface - use the auto-timer on the camera too - so you don't shake it when the shutter goes off.

i think the dead-cell lights are great - can't wait til i get mine!
Old 07-28-2003, 10:54 PM
qoncept944
Pro

Here's another shot..
Old 07-29-2003, 03:13 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad that starter solenoid didn't get bashed against the bulbs and crush them. That solenoid is a heavy little sucker.

Your picture is interesting with the color differentials. I think others would be interested if your aftermarket center light was turned off so they could see what their cars would look like.

Also, you may want to think about wiring for flashing side markers with the turnsignals. With our curved *** end you can see them pretty easy, even from directly behind. To wire the rear up is probably easier than the dead light cells. All you need is another buck's worth of wire and terminals.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:20 AM
Cass944
Drifting

ive had those for a long time, i got htem on ebay. its jsut 2 more light bulbs you stick in the extra sockets
Old 07-29-2003, 03:39 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Brett, didn't we try and have this conversation before but you failed to answer on the e-bay kit? From what I can see that is a kludged affair, not an OEM job where you can just change out the bulbs as normal.

You don't need to actually answer this either since I don't have many more of the OEM sockets anyway and I'm just selling them for cost. So I could care less about the e-bay deal. I'm not making money off it, what do I care? Just a favor to Rennlisters.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:31 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Can anyone tell me how to take pictures of lights when its dark out?"

Turn off the flash and set camera to manual mode and fixed-aperture. Using 100-ASA, about 1-sec @ f:1.8 should be about right...
Old 07-29-2003, 09:41 AM
keith
Drifting

Hey IceShark - any idea how to wire the dead cells into the foglight circuit, as intended?

(Also, can the driving lights be wired to flash with the stalk, as opposed to the fogs?)

(Also, was a method worked out to make the side markers work with the turn signals, front and rear?)

etc.

etc.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:21 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Keith,

I have only seen North American market cars. There is no wiring running back there to use for the fog function. Porsche seems to have had seperate wiring sub-harnesses made for each market.

So you would need to fish a new wire back there and tie it into the fog circuit on either the relay/fuse board or if you don't want to dig in that snake pit just pull power off the fog wires in the engine bay. Shouldn't be too hard to do, a couple hours at most.

For flashing the driving lights you can go several ways. Dig into that damn fuse board again or just trigger your relay off the high beams. When you pull the stalk high beams turn on even though they are in the down position. At least this is the way North American cars are wired, ROW may be set up differently. I went and did it the hard way with switches and diodes to get all sorts of function options, most of which I never use in practice.

I did get my side markers working as per normal but then flashing when the blinker is engaged. Looks pretty nice and is easy for people to see that are riding up off your rear quarter. The rears are easy to do with a buck's worth of wire and terminals and a half hour time.

The fronts take a lot longer because it is so tight up there. And at least on the 951 they went and riveted the terminals to the front blinker bulb socket so you can't just pull off a spade terminal and put the new one on. It took me a couple hours to figure the best way up there. But it can be done and looks nice. And it is dirt cheap, not counting your time.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:46 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Ok, so did you just run a wire from the turn-signal connection to the side marker lights? Likewise in the front? I have to pull the fronts to replace bulbs anyhow, and may as well wire this setup in place at the same time.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:12 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Robert, Yup. All you do is pull the grounds from the sidemarker lights and reconnect them to the turn signal positive feeds.

The sidemarkers will work per normal if the blinkers are not engaged. Sidemarkers on and engage the turn signal the sidemarkers blink in alternate pattern as the turn signal. If sidemarkers are off and turn signal engaged they will blink in sequence with the turn signals.

Simple, cheap and effective.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:26 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Wait.....don't you run the positive turn-signal feed to the positive sidemarker feed and leave the ground intact?
Old 07-29-2003, 03:13 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Nope, not if you want the sidemarker to still function as a sidemarker. Trust me and try it out, you will see.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:41 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Ahhh thats right, I forgot the sidemarkers do not stay lit. You rule.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:02 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Hey Keith

If you think it might help my car is a Euro you could maybe use it as a example of how they did it from the factory. Just a thought. Email me if you think that it might help.

Quick Reply: IceShark's deadcell lights