Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the heat shield for the brake fluid reservoir...need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Removing the heat shield for the brake fluid reservoir...need help

Thanks for looking. I am trying to get the brake fluid reservoir heat shield out. How does it come out?

I have removed 5 nuts/bolts, which is all of them as far as I can see, which isn't far in this engine! I can now wiggle the heat shield, and I am guessing it comes UP and out. Any tips? It just seems really stuck in there.

I need the heat shield out so I can remove the intermediate steering shaft. I am putting in a manual rack. I will have a write-up on regreasing the rack soon.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bonus12
Thanks for looking. I am trying to get the brake fluid reservoir heat shield out. How does it come out?

I have removed 5 nuts/bolts, which is all of them as far as I can see, which isn't far in this engine! I can now wiggle the heat shield, and I am guessing it comes UP and out. Any tips? It just seems really stuck in there.

I need the heat shield out so I can remove the intermediate steering shaft. I am putting in a manual rack. I will have a write-up on regreasing the rack soon.

Thanks in advance.
Have you removed the intake manifold yet? It looks like it should come out as it its, but you're much better off pulling the intake imo. Even then it still takes a bit of of deforming to get it out.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Taymar
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed mine recently, and it was kind of a pain to get out without bending it.

If I remember correctly:

I believe I carefully pried it off the lower two posts first (one at the back, one at the front, alternating between the two until it was free at the bottom).

Next up was the top rear tab which was buried behind all the wiring/vacuum lines. Once that one was out it kind of rotated down at the back and lifted out to the front and upwards. On my car, the dipstick tube was pretty loose in the block, so I rotated that out of the way to help with access. Be careful not to scratch up the firewall with the rear tab as you rotate the whole thing out, it will probably rub on it.

I had several pieces already removed by this point including the intake, auxiliary water pump, and all the intake hard piping which helped with access.

Quick Reply: Removing the heat shield for the brake fluid reservoir...need help