Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sunroof again

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003 | 04:17 PM
qoncept944
Pro

Default sunroof again

I'm totally burnt out on the sunroof, but its annoying and important enough that I've got to fix it. It sounds like converting it to manual would be more of a pain than fixing the motor, so I guess I'lll leave it the way it is. But I'm still not certain how it works.

I had it partially fixed last night. The microswitches were about an 1/8" off and I readjusted them, so it wouldn't lock and unlock properly. It stiill wasn't opening as far as it should though.

After fixing it, like a little kid, I played with it, with the key in position 1 and in posoition 2. After a few times in position 2, the shaft started poking out against the interior a little (which I hadn't yet removed). Alarmed, I took the panel covering the back off and tried it again.

I tore apart the gear encasings and sure enough, both of the white gears were stripped to hell. They must've been fine before, so what would have suddenly caused them to totally fail? Is there something wrong with the slip clutch? If I put new ones in, is it going to happen all over again?

Also, the picture below shows a piece I broke when realigning the microswitches. There are 2 plastic pieces that slide along the glide rail, one small piece connected directly to the shaft, and a larger plate that snaps in to that. I epoxied them back together, but along with the stripping gears, it broke apart again. It got me thinking about whether or not these pieces should be glued together. Should they ever come apart during regular operation, or did the stripped gears and/or clutch do this?
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2003 | 07:52 PM
qoncept944
Pro

bump
Old 07-29-2003 | 07:57 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

The only hard part about converting it to manual is finding the latches. If you can find some it shouldn't take you any more than 30 minutes or so. And as a temproary fix you can have it hook on the edge of the opening (assuming your not expection a tropical storm) until you can get a proper latching point. But I reckon you have a good latching point already.

And it's way easy to get in and out.
Old 07-29-2003 | 08:09 PM
qoncept944
Pro

Sid, do the manual latches hold it up and open too?
Old 07-29-2003 | 08:14 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

There should be a way to do it as there is a safety strap. Didn't bother looking into it, as with me it's either off or on, never understood that cracking it open bit.
Old 07-29-2003 | 08:29 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

I'm experiencing the same problems - here's the crosspost https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=79646

Some links there to Clarks garage and suggestions on re & re. I followed the suggestion to replace the gears without going into the motor drive, and promptly stripped both new gears!

The issue is the clutch torque and limit swith travel - mine are clearly out of adjustment, which is why the gears strippred. The travel is also too long for extending the roof - the arms actually travel past the mesh point so thay they come right out! So I should have taken that as a hint.

Luckily gears are cheap - I orderd 6 (!) from Paragon!
Old 07-29-2003 | 08:33 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

clutch slip is huge in this equation. get to the motor and adjust the slip - it is an amazingly LOW setting (don't have the manual in front of me for the numbers...)

good call on ordering a couple extra gears...
Old 07-29-2003 | 08:54 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Washington can I have some pics of your car, i like the avatar.

Quick Reply: sunroof again