Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping wheels overseas

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:39 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with what has been said...try 4 separate boxes and I would stick with USPS as they are normally the cheapest.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:28 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shipped some Fuchs wheels to somewhere, I don't remember if it was New Zeeland or northern Europe - I put each one in a box and shipped by USPS. Shipping for the two wheels was around $100 to $150 if I remember right.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:13 PM
RichardDe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping LCL Freight from the USA

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
What is the best way to ship 4 bare wheels overseas? I've looked into UPS, DHL and IPS parcel and all want over 1k to ship 4 wheels in 2 boxes. That seems insane to me.
Do not confuse LCL service with parcel services. The minimum charge of one cubic meter. Destination charges.

LCL service designed for shipping considerably sizable cargo. In LCL there is the minimum charge of one cubic meter. I.e., if you ship a cargo of total volume less than one cubic meter you will be charged for one cubic meter anyway. Certain destinations may have minimums of two or three cubic meters.

Sometimes people calculating the shipping cost in our online price calculator are wondering: why do changes in dimensions of shipping units not result in price changes? That is because the total volume of their cargo does not exceed the minimum charge on one cubic meter. As soon as the volume will exceed the minimum, the price begins to change.

What is more important that LCL FREIGHT IS ALWAYS SUBJECT TO DESTINATION CHARGES. Do not confuse freight (or the statement ‘freight prepaid’) and destination charges (sometimes called local charges). DESTINATION CHARGES ARE NOT INCLUDED IN LCL QUOTES AND MUST BE PAID BY CONSIGNEES (cargo recipients) at destinations. U.S. freight forwarders do not connect to destination charges. If you would like to estimate the charges, then request a quote in our online freight calculator. Then reply to the quote and ask us about contact information of perspective carrier’s destination agent. Having the information you may contact the agent directly to find more about your cargo recovery procedures and estimate destination charges. Note that the carrier’s agent may be changed during processing shipments. The information must be reconfirmed in your bill of lading. However, most of the time cargo recovery procedures and destination charges should be about the same.

In other words, if you ship small parcels, then using FedEx, DHL or another parcel service may be more convenient and cost-effective. LCL becomes cost-effective if you ship sizable and/or heavy items.

Quick Reply: Shipping wheels overseas