Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another seats thread Acura GSR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not being harsh at all. It's simple truth. (And maybe the harsh reality for those that cheap ou) Put junkyard parts in a Porsche, expect it to be viewed/treated as a cheap junky car!

Fwiw, I've used Honda seats in 2 jeeps and one pickup. I'm not against using junkyard parts in the right places. In those cases the Honda seats are much nicer than any stock option and give a neat custom look. In a classic Porsche they just look junky. Especially when there are very nice factory seats and very nice racing seats that fit and look the part of the car. Seats that actually add value instead of taking away from it!

Part of (not the whole) reason I got my 951 so cheap initially is because it had 300zx seats in it.

Last edited by Cole; 02-14-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's see a picture of the OPs seats in question, and we can judge how junky they look from there instead of just assuming they'll look like crap
Old 02-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

I googled Acura GSR seats. Still this these quality leather bucket seats look like crap?

The ones in that picture sold for ~$300. Significantly cheaper then leather factory Porsche seats. And the Acura seats are out of a late 90s car so the leather won't be as old.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

They scream KOREA or JAPAN.

This nice kia van has almost the same seats as porsche. Should be a good option too.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Voith; 02-14-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Cole
Drifting

Yes, those would look like crap.......in a Porsche!

Look sweet in a Acura though. Maybe even an old pickup!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:10 PM
xuno_gil
Track Day

I don't understand this whole idea that only the stock stuff is the way to go. Just because it is a Porsche, in my book, does not mean that anything you put on it that is not Porsche will hurt the vehicle. If the old Porsche seats are all torn up and worn out why keep them in the car when there are alternatives out there that are very sporty, very supportive, and can still look good.
I just think the purist like their things and that is fine, but I am all about tinkering around and bending the "rules", this is just seats so barely ground braking innovation, but with that mind frame it restricts the possibilities of life.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

The same reason as when you go to high profile meeting and do not wear shorts and hawaii Tshirt.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by xuno_gil
I don't understand this whole idea that only the stock stuff is the way to go. Just because it is a Porsche, in my book, does not mean that anything you put on it that is not Porsche will hurt the vehicle. If the old Porsche seats are all torn up and worn out why keep them in the car when there are alternatives out there that are very sporty, very supportive, and can still look good.
I just think the purist like their things and that is fine, but I am all about tinkering around and bending the "rules", this is just seats so barely ground braking innovation, but with that mind frame it restricts the possibilities of life.
I'm far from a purist! But some things just look wrong and destroy the car.

Nobody is saying to only restore the car with factory correct numbers matching, era correct, NOS seats.

Porsches really are meant to be modded and "upgraded"! Race seats, other factory Porsche seats, recovering the stock seats are all a great way to go. But putting in what will likely be heavier, non-perfect fitting, seats from a "cheaper" brand of car is simply moving in the wrong direction!

Lots of seat swap threads here. Just avoid the junk!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Those would look hideous...
Old 02-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Cole
Drifting

The other thing to consider is that factory and race seats tend to bolt to the proper mount locations.

I've fabbed up several sets of junkyard seats for various projects and many OEM seats don't use standard 4 bolt mounts all on the same level. So you must use spacers, drill holes through not seat mount location, weld brackets etc. Often making a seat that isn't that safe.

Certainly can't be used for many track days.

Also have to consider the seatbelt mounts, and if the tracks more the right distance.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Cole
Drifting

Also, most people buying a "Porsche" of any kind only want to see factory or race seats. Anything else means the car may have been hacked and the price needs to drop at least far enough to acquire proper seats for the car.

This was my car when I bought it. These are 300ZX seats. Normally a cool sporty seat, even if they weren't trashed they would have come out and been sold off.(I tossed them in the trash) They weighed about 3x what the stock seats do and screwed up the seating position. (Too tall)

Same car with cheapy race seats!

Same car today with factory Sport seats! WAY more comfortable than the other options. Also seem to fit the lines of the car better.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Xuno, screw the haters! If you like the look and comfortability of those Acura seats, GO FOR IT!

I wanna see pictures of them installed if you do.

No idea why anyone is so butthurt - if I shared that picture of the Acura seat and didn't say it was from an Acura, I bet people would say they like it!

Yall are like girls and Michael Korr purses!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Butters944
Xuno, screw the haters! If you like the look and comfortability of those Acura seats, GO FOR IT!
Yes, absolutely! If the majority of people think it will hurt the looks, value and safety of your car by all means "screw them"! They are obviously "haters" by trying to give advice that will potentially save you money, your life, or just your dignity.

On the other hand......maybe you should do it since it's not our wallets! As a matter a fact, the crappier your car looks, the better mine looks! Thus, more value!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Cole
Drifting

If the Acura seats are so great why has nobody presented a good(any) argument for their use?

Instead just claiming that those against their use must be hating some how?

Are they lighter, narrower, lower, more comfortable, better side bolsters, heat, harness holes, or are they simply "available" with fresher material?
Old 02-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

They are probably as comfortable as Porsche seats, appear to have bigger side bolsters, are available in fresh material, for much lower cost. Good argument in my book!

Quick Reply: another seats thread Acura GSR?