Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball joint repair kits ('90 S2), are all equal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:26 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ball joint repair kits ('90 S2), are all equal?

So after changing some bushings in the front suspension I noticed that my ball joints are torn/worn out. Doing a little research I noticed that they're not a replaceable part from Porsche (except buying the whole a-arm with the ball joint already attached) so I'm looking at other options.

I saw the repair kit from Pelican, Rennbay, and Paragon. Are there any differences between the basic kits they offer?

Paragon offers a longer pin for lowered cars to correct the geometry of the suspension. I plan on lowering the car soon so should I get this longer pin, and if I do, is it ok to run the longer pin on the car at stock height?

Any other suggestions/tips is appreciated. This is for a street car.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:44 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

Please note the ball joint repair kits will not work on the very last version of the control arms, as used on the 968. Apparently the part number is the same as those used on the S2, but the part is different. Ask me how I know...

Otherwise the repair kits - I used the Rennbay kit on late-model 944 control arms - works nicely.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Ni944S2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the kit this weekend.

I think the only kit available is Rennbay. You can either get directly from Rennbay, Pelican or Paragon. (Or get it from Amazon and get free shipping!). So, no, there is no difference between the kits, it's the same thing just from different sources.

I think in the past Rennbay sold 2 different kits, one was lower cost with a nylon upper bushing, and a higher cost one with a brass upper bushing. From what I can tell, the nylon version didn't work well and was discontinued.

My car is stock height so i don't know about the longer pin version.

It seems like a nice kit. Quality seemed very high to me. Installation was straightforward (but I wouldn't call it a very fun job), as shown on their video and here:

https://www.sierramadrecollection.co...structions.pdf
Old 02-12-2014, 06:44 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did get to watch Rennbay's youtube video on the repair and it was only a 13 minute video so it shouldn't take too long once you get the a-arm removed.

Did you guys replace the other bushings on the a-arm since you had it out, or did you reuse what was on there?

Quick Reply: Ball joint repair kits ('90 S2), are all equal?