Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked collector head?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cracked collector head?

I think my collector head might have a crack in it but I can't really tell since the heat shield that covers it up is not allowing me to see it. However the shield has a powdery white appearance to it - kinda chalky looking.

So I will need remove the shield to get a better look. What is the best way to remove the shield? There is a seam that runs down both sides I could cut, one would be easy to get to but the other not so easy.

Any suggestions on the easiest way to remove it with the CH still on the car?

If I can get to the crack with my mig welder I might take a crack at welding it, but the header is stainless steel right. Can I even use a mig welder set up for standard ferrous sheet metal?
Old 02-08-2014, 05:19 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you talking about the exhaust manifold, or ??? I am not familiar with the phrase "collector head". The stainless exhaust mainfolds crack where they are welded together, particularly the inner pair, I replaced mine with the cast ones - heavier but they don't seem to ever crack.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:38 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm talking about the part that those parts bolt up to. The beginning of the crossover pipe. There is a shield that is covering it and it is chaulky white.

Quick Reply: Cracked collector head?