Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Character begun on 944/2

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Epiphone_74
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Character begun on 944/2

Hello all

Have an 85 /2 NA 944. Seems to have sprung an oil leak just above the exhaust manifold. Standing on the passenger side of the car facing the driver side would be the far left exhaust bolts see to have oil on them and the smoke roll out from there.

1. is this the cam tower gasket?

2. How difficult is this to fix?

3. Ive looked up the parts an know the gaskets are available for the cam tower do I need the intake gaskets as well?

This is a DD right now and cant afford to have it fail on me.

Thanks in advance

Epi
Old 02-07-2014, 06:52 PM
MB968
Racer

I'm no expert on the 944, but sounds like valve cover gasket (maybe that's cam tower on 944. If so, it's a fairly easy job. Even when I use new gaskets, I like to use a light coating of RTV on the head surface to account for any scratches, pits, etc. from age.

In fact, if you need it done asap and don't have easy access to the gasket, just take if off, clean everything, give the head the light coat of RTV, and reinstall old gasket. Not the best solution, but I've had it work well in a pinch until I could spend more time on it.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:00 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

3-4 hour job, including changing the timing/balance belts while you're in there. Easy.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:04 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This sounds like it might be the cork gasket at the firewall end of the cam tower cover. It's a bit tight in there but can be repaced with combination wrenches. They're either 10 or 13 mm but can't remember for sure. Make sure you are careful pulling off the end cover so you know the orientation when putting it back on. I'd spray a little paint back there so you'll see which side is up (clean with acetone and rag first so the paint'll stick). When you put the new gasket on, be careful not to overtighten it. It's cork and will smash down real easy.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Epiphone_74
3rd Gear

Default Thanks all

Thanks all

Need more patience with this machine, really dont want to mess with the engine , and a gasket seems harmless enough..

However taking the fuel rail and all that stuffs back off again im not looking forward to..

damn
Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 PM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its the cam tower don't rush...back out each bolt a little bit at a time or it will get hung up. I had every bolt out and the tower would not come off. Had to tighten them all back up and start over then it came right off.

If its your first time diving in, don't be afraid to take some photos of your progress, they come in handy.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its the cam tower gasket, they like to go. I had to do it twice on my 924S, and it's really pretty easy. Annoying but easy.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Epiphone_74
3rd Gear

Another Character Flaw

Seems there is a water leak (rain in eastern NC go figure) dripping in the driver side footwell behind the dash. My guess is on of the cowl drains is clogged. Just had the windshield replaced in December so I'm doubting its coming in under that. Feet got nice and wet taking a right turn Saturday.

Anyone know where the cowl drains are and can they be routed out with a wire hangar or heavy gage wire to clear them??
Old 02-10-2014, 10:47 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

Originally Posted by Epiphone_74
Another Character Flaw Seems there is a water leak (rain in eastern NC go figure) dripping in the driver side footwell behind the dash. My guess is on of the cowl drains is clogged. Just had the windshield replaced in December so I'm doubting its coming in under that. Feet got nice and wet taking a right turn Saturday. Anyone know where the cowl drains are and can they be routed out with a wire hangar or heavy gage wire to clear them??
there are two drain slots, one near the battery and one by the fuse box. they clog up pretty easy with leaves and other crud. I clean mine out with a coat hanger.

Quick Reply: New Character begun on 944/2