Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c losing efficiency on long runs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 02:02 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question a/c losing efficiency on long runs...

hi folks,
well - getting ready to move to miami got me thinking about my a/c.

when i first start up and turn on the a/c it blows cold. really cold. nice. just how it should be...but on a long drive (5-6 hours) i have to keep inching the thermostat down - to the point where it doesn't really cool any more....

in the past, i've had some issues with the drain tube plugging. i have been under there recently and cleaned it out again, but found no restriction. it DOES seem to drain slowly, tho (i'll come out the morning after that long drive and there is still a puddle) and i'm wondering if the two are connected...

should i pull the center console and attack the tube from above? i've only blown compressed air into it from below.

is there any way to get into whatever 'catch basin' there may be that directs the condensation into the tube? maybe i have something loose in THERE that eventually slides down to restrict the opening, but then is easily blown away (temporarily) by the compressed air...

thoughts?

(the system was evacuated and re-charged 6/25/01 and a check valve was replaced too)
Old 07-25-2003, 02:17 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Re: a/c losing efficiency on long runs...

Originally posted by washington951

is there any way to get into whatever 'catch basin' there may be that directs the condensation into the tube? maybe i have something loose in THERE that eventually slides down to restrict the opening, but then is easily blown away (temporarily) by the compressed air...
Ah-ha, I was thinking of this too.

My A/C ducting might be different from you....

The last time I checked, I think all of the fasteners bolt in from above, meaning that it is not easy (maybe not possible) to unbolt the tray.

What I did (for purposes of spraying antiseptic in there) was to drill a small hole on the sidewall of the catch basin. Maybe a slightly larger hole would allow access for a compressed air nozzle.

-Kevin
Old 07-25-2003, 05:56 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

hhhhmmm - thats a thought - anyway to get in thru the hose that leads to the glovebox??? i've always wondered this as this is the hose that dumps water on the floor when the tube backs up....must lead to the right place, eh?!
Old 07-26-2003, 10:57 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

back to the top witcha....

Quick Reply: a/c losing efficiency on long runs...