Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Argh!!! Por$che dealer$hip woes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 01:42 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Argh!!! Por$che dealer$hip woes...

This afternoon I went to my friendly local porsche dealership to buy some stuff I forgot to order from paragon (namely exhaust studs, exhaust stud nuts, intake manifold bolts, nuts for the head studs, and the two cheesehead bolts that came out of the head that I couldn't find a part number for). Well...would you believe that the cheesehead bolts for the intake manifold were $5 a piece? $5 for an M6 (I think) bolt with a cheesehead top! Are these made of aircraft grade titanium or something? All I could say was "wow!" I only bought two because only two of mine were stripped (I was going to buy the whole set of 8 thinking they were like $.50 or $1.00 a piece or someting). What else...the exhaust studs were reasonable...$4 a piece or something...they are big bolts and I can understand that...but...the nuts for them were $6 a pop! The washers were an astounding $5 a piece!

I read on clarks garage that its not a bad idea to use copper nuts to replace the stock exh. manifold nuts...I think I'll do that, and reuse the washers.

Okay...this is where it gets interesting. The one cheesehead bolt that I snapped (I still have to figure out how to extract it) and its twin were not found on the PET! I could see in both the head and block diagrams where the bolts connected through the head into the block, but they didn't have a bolt listed there! So I took a guess and said they were about the same as the bolts that hold the cam assembly to the head...I hope I'm right.

Another thing...the nuts for the head studs weren't on the PET diagrams either! I guess I'll just re-use the old ones as they don't look too bad.

This Porsche dealership is about 40 or 45 miles from my house, and I asked the guy at the parts counter if they could just ship the parts to me (they didn't have any of the stuff in stock), and he said they couldn't because "they might loose a bolt or something". F*cking amazing! I've gotten parts shipped from other Porsche dealerships...why not this one in Rockville? I'm going to call the manager tomorrow and be sure that I can get the stuff shipped to me because that is just outrageous.

So...I left there with nothing, I have 8 head studs, two intake manifold bolts and two other bolts on order, am $50 some odd dollars poorer, and have to drive back to get the parts while having to deal with Washington DC traffic. Thats just great!
Old 07-24-2003, 01:54 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

I just got off the phone with paragon...the same exact nuts the p-dealer was selling for $6 a piece were $1. That is just...amazing. I ended up getting a set of copper exhaust nuts from them for $6 (it has 20 nuts). Thats a little more like it.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:00 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah Rockville is out of their mind. I wanted a new coolant tank and they asked $160. I said forget it. I bought it online for $70 or something. They dont have a clue about anything either. They took 6 months to get me touch up paint. If its not a brand new 996 or Cayenne, they dont know it existed. (Hey, just so you know, the best Porsche repair shop is down the street from there. C & J Motors. I usually have the owner there order my parts and i get them cheap and his labor is perfect and cheap as well.) Tischer Porsche is no better than Rockville either! Hahaha, they didnt even know what the Porsche Selection catalog was. Ok...its that book RIGHT THERE with the "Porsche Selection" line of stuff....damn, how do they do this? Porsche Germany would be ashamed. I bet i could sell Porsche better than they could too.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:27 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

as lousy as those places are, GM customer service tops it.

I learned from a GM insider that the people answering the phones to assist customers don't work for GM. they are at a switchboard, and one center answers questions about mayonnaise too!!! no wonder the peckerhead i was trying to explain about paint not matching, and resale value had no idea what i was talking about!! spread the word about how lousy GM is.

Quick Reply: Argh!!! Por$che dealer$hip woes...