Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too cold for belt tensioning?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Too cold for belt tensioning?

So I've got some time off to finish my project and it's time to tension the belts. So I did that yesterday and was ready to button up the front when I read that your not suppose tension unless it's 69 degrees F. Well it was only 51 when I did it.

How much should I be worried? Also I'd like to double check my arnworx tool with the trying to turn the WP pulley test.

I know that if you can turn it with one hand it's too loose and if you can't turn it with two hands it's too tight. But when do you do this test? After you turn the engine over twice or after you back it off a tooth and a half?
Old 01-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I wouldn't be concerned about the temp... However, I do think the temp will cause a much different feel if you "try to turn the water pump pulley" - warm rubber sticks better than cold rubber.

I have no idea what you're talking about with "after you back it off a tooth and a half?"... If the teeth of the timing belt are engaged properly, the flywheel mark, camshaft mark and both balance shaft marks will be pointing in the correct places. If you start moving the belt around, you're going to lose that time position... and I have no idea how you'd set it to be "half a tooth off" - that's like a woman being half-pregnant!
Old 01-25-2014, 12:33 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van
I wouldn't be concerned about the temp... However, I do think the temp will cause a much different feel if you "try to turn the water pump pulley" - warm rubber sticks better than cold rubber. I have no idea what you're talking about with "after you back it off a tooth and a half?"... If the teeth of the timing belt are engaged properly, the flywheel mark, camshaft mark and both balance shaft marks will be pointing in the correct places. If you start moving the belt around, you're going to lose that time position... and I have no idea how you'd set it to be "half a tooth off" - that's like a woman being half-pregnant!
Van, when tensioning the belts the manuals say turn the motor through and stop at TDC. Then, back it up 1.5 teeth and take the tension. Repeat until you get the same reading consistently. I think that is what he is referring to.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Oh, gotcha. Right, when you use the factory tensioning tool (I don't know about the arnworks tool) you turn the crank backwards to put slack in the belt is on the long run between the camshaft and crank. I didn't realize the FSM specified to turn it backwards 1.5 teeth - I've always just turned it back "a little bit".
Old 01-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
Van, when tensioning the belts the manuals say turn the motor through and stop at TDC. Then, back it up 1.5 teeth and take the tension. Repeat until you get the same reading consistently. I think that is what he is referring to.
Yes this is what I am referring to.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're concerned about the temp, I'd run the engine, assuming the belts are tensioned close to start with, until they're real pliable, then do the tension test when the motor has cooled off.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:02 AM
hamlin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, you will want to re-tension after a night of cooling off. IIRC. Then again it was quite easy while living in Hawaii with 60-70 temps year round.

Quick Reply: Too cold for belt tensioning?