Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner.... maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 08:35 PM
Olly
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner.... maintenance questions

Hello,

As of 13 hours ago, I am the new owner of a 944. I have been looking at cars for many months, looking at everything from Mustangs to Pre-98 Super Beetles when I came across a car I couldn't pass up. I found a 86 944 with a broken odometer and no maintenance records whatsoever and bought it for $2k !!!!

I realize it was probably a pretty big gamble but now I am trying to figure out all of the maintenance things that I should do right away, not knowing any history whatsoever. Here is what I plan to do in the next couple of days:
- Change Oil/Filter
- Change Spark Plugs and Wires
- Put in a K&N air filter

Do you experts have any other suggestions or recommendations?

Also, there is some sort of a rattling sound coming from the engine... I was told it was probably a lifter.... Any suggestions there? Reading through forums, I saw at a post that talked about doing some ATF fluid. Would you recommend doing that to a 944 with unknown history anyway?

The last thing I was wondering about is a steering wheel shake past 50mph (the car doesn't). Not sure if that's normal...

Thanks in advance for your recommendations,

I love this car already and am making the girlfriend jealous...

Olly
Old 07-22-2003, 08:39 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome Olly

Number one priority is to change the timing belt ASAP, assuming that you lack of maint. records indicates that you haven't a clue when the belt was last done. Some guys in here replace them every 30K d/t the major engine failure they cause when broken (bent valves and so on).

This should be you very first thing. I personally wouldn't drive until you do so.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:43 PM
Olly
4th Gear

Thanks for the suggestion... Where is the best place to buy those... Your local Pep Boys or Autozone?
Old 07-22-2003, 08:45 PM
soundboy4
Racer

Also, there is some sort of a rattling sound coming from the engine... I was told it was probably a lifter.... Any suggestions there? Reading through forums
the rattling could be your valves. i had the same problem after installing a new performance chip... i started using the high octane gas and the noise eventually stopped, don't know if it's the same thing though...kinda sounded like little rattling marbles. in any case, i bought myne with no records as well so it was sort of a paint to go through and check what needed to be replaced and what didn't, the catch on yours is the broken odometer :/ i'd definitely check the timing belt out and the water pump while your in there as soon as possible. post some pics for us too if you can congrats on the 944 man, welcome aboard
Old 07-22-2003, 08:48 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Online from http://www.paragon-products.com/ ~ they're one of the few places that NEVER get spoken about badly. There are a couple others (all internet/telephone places) that consistantally deliver good service... everything here in Atlanta/GA has more than its fair share of bad press.

Where are you located Olly? I'm over by 285 and 78, have the full shop manuals and am unemployed.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:51 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

"Your local Pep Boys or Autozone?"

Er ahhhhhhhh No. The only thing they carry you can use on your 944 is oil.

I get mine from parragon. go to my site www.sidv.org under Porsche you'll find Parragon (although I have a slight beef with them at the moment) as well as a couple of others. Also go to Clarks Garage for the process if your going to do it yourself.

You'll also want to replace as many rollers as you can afford, and the waterpump too. All for the same reason. Don't have to do that everytime, but I would now.

Also get yourself a DME/fuel pump Relay, throw it in your glovebox. When your out and about and the car dies, try replacing that first.

Then go beat yourself about the head and shoulders for thinking of buying a Beetle.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

But Sid, it was an old air cooled Beetle.

Like others have already said, don't drive that thing until you get the belts, rollers and waterpump replaced.

I also would want to look pretty carefully at the tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings, and wheel balance. That vibration is not even remotely normal, and you really don't want to bust a ball joint or tie rod end at speed, boy howdy!

Hey Sid, why did someone call you Erik the other day, is that your real name?
Old 07-22-2003, 09:59 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

No my Aunt's.

We get confused often. On account of the nose hair.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:22 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Olly - welcome...

You did take a big gamble - visiting Rennlist has increased your odds. Luckily, Porsche swooped you from the evils of getting 'Stanged

Let's start at the beginning...

Re: odometer is likely dead because the Previous Owner (PO) engaged the odo-self-destruct button while in motion (otherwise known as the trip reset - in the left-centre air outlet area). The gear is available separately - here's an article to help you replace it:
http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index...x_v2&id=49&c=4

re: Timing Belt - Like the others here have said, fear the belt. With no records, don't bother with a single "mod" until the belts are done. The problem here is that it isn't an easy one (shoulda tried the Beetle for that)... belts on the 944 are a chore, and require special tools. If you're up to it, try this tech article over at Clark's Garage:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/eng-10.htm

Re: Oil Change - don't use a Fram filter.... search the archives for more on that. OE is Mahle - Mahle is good - peanuts are low in carbohydrates. Use oil - don't obsess over what brand, type, or color. Mobil One is a favorite with regard to availability and price. Redline is worth every penny to those who use it. A plastic grocery bag will be useful whilst removing the oil filter... you'll see.

Re: Spark Plugs - platinum is for sissies - not really, but copper is a better conductor, cheaper, and lasts long enough to make you forget the last time you changed them. Silver is the best available conductor - BERU and Bosch make these.

Re: Wires - you'll likely find that aftermarket wires sets are cheaper than OE. Please, search the archives on this one... there is much to know about Porsche ignition wires that may not be intuitive.

Re: rattling - be careful here... rattling from the engine is not normal. There is the normal injector pulse, then there are two common other sources of unwanted noise from the 944 engine. The first, as you mentioned, could be a lifter (actually, cam followers on the 944). Often they get stuck, lose prime, and make a racket. Replacement is usually necessary. Check this out whilst the timing belt is done - the timing belt must be removed to remove the cam followers. Again with this Clark guy:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/cam-02.htm
The other very unfortunate thing that makes noise in the engine is a spun rod bearing - specifically, #2 is the Achilles heel. Fix by adding a $2k engine to your $2k car. Likely this is not it - oil pressure will be non-existent and the engine will not too long in this crippled state.
ATF or Marvel Mystery oil mixed in with the oil (no more than 1/2 quart) can *sometimes* clear up odd noises in the upper engine area... it's quite unlikely this would work... but, it may have been me who stated that in your search - it HAS worked for me on Jeeps.

Re: Shimmy - if you're sure it's not your imagination (standard dealer service line) Check the balljoints in the control arms first - they can cause this are become very dangerous in failure mode. Replacement of the joint or the arm may be necessary... another Achilles heel. Other than that, check everything that forms the front suspension. This topic has been discussed in great detail in the past - the archives should be very helpful to you for this.

Sorry this is so short - had to take a break from the novel I'm working on.

Good Luck!
Old 07-22-2003, 10:33 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

soundboy4 - sounds like you were experiencing detonation as a result of the low octane fuel and the advance settings in your performance chip. The chip should have come with instructions to now use only "premium" or 91/92 octane fuel.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:35 AM
soundboy4
Racer

it very well may have, i was just so stoked to get the thing on though... may have skipped a few of the 'details'
Old 07-23-2003, 06:09 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Skip.. you da man. I use "Marvel" about every 3rd oil change- 1/2 qt to the new Mobil1. ATF will do a quickie clean on a new engine- I'm about to do it for the first time with the 944. (noisy for the first second after turning over, and I'm doing an oil change to Mobil1 very soon)
Plugs- go with the Bosch Coppers. they work the best and last the longest. (another point of conjecture, but thats what I use)
Wheel shimmy- balance, alignment first. THEN look for the expensive and labor-intensive parts.. wheel bearings couldnt hurt- except for your wallet!

and Olly- HEED THE BELT WARNING!! Welcome to the fracus and the wonderful (but sometimes obsessive and ****-retentive!) world of Rennlist.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:38 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timing belt, timing belt and again timing belt first!

Skip,

''Re: odometer is likely dead because the Previous Owner (PO) engaged the odo-self-destruct button while in motion (otherwise known as the trip reset - in the left-centre air outlet area).

I always press mine whilst in motion and it works ok.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:50 AM
Olly
4th Gear

Brian,

I live in Roswell on Alpharetta Hwy... I plan to spend Saturday doing a lot of maintenance stuff... I had Autozone order me spark plug wires ($225!!!) but then again I have learned a lot since yesterday.

Thank all of you guys for the help and suggestions.... I will let you know how this turns out...

Olly
Old 07-23-2003, 08:44 AM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

Welcome to rennlist. I live just off Hwy. 78 in Snellville so let me know if you need any help maitenance wise. Some other things that should be looked at include the fuel filter and the tranny oil. As everyone else has suggested, it is a pretty good idea to replace the timing belt before it has a chance of breaking.

Quick Reply: New owner.... maintenance questions