Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valentine 1 Concealed Display

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 07:26 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a mirror that a friend of mine makes for bimmers, that is called the invisimirror. what this does is conceals the V1 in the rear brakelight, and then you have the optional display inside a rear view mirror that you purchase seperately.... its pretty impressive, but you have to see it for yourself... www.apexcone.com if you have any questions email Jim from that site about it....
Old 07-23-2003, 08:09 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Originally posted by Jonas Goldsmith
You can get a mirror that a friend of mine makes for bimmers, that is called the invisimirror. what this does is conceals the V1 in the rear brakelight, and then you have the optional display inside a rear view mirror that you purchase seperately.... its pretty impressive, but you have to see it for yourself... www.apexcone.com if you have any questions email Jim from that site about it....
there has been a guy doing this pretty cheap for a couple years but now he stopped... dont remember his url
Old 07-23-2003, 09:25 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

its probably Jim and his company.... apexcone..... He has been doin it for a few years...
Old 07-23-2003, 09:34 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up my V1 install

i'm not big on the display in the mirror for our setups. it doesn't really move the display very far - and i thought the idea of the remote display is to conceal it from other drivers behind/beside us!

i did NOT remove my airbag wheel to do it. remove all the screws holding the center a/c vents and the surround of the gauges. carefully tip the top of the plastic piece toward you and then you can slide it toward the passenger seat and out of the way - just go slow and be patient. note the odo reset button.

my 'glass' that covers the gauges came right off - YMMV. maybe i was lucky. i just used double-sided foam tape to secure the unit right between the tach and speedo. it sits right up against the front of the gauge panel and (due to the tape) is very secure. i routed the phone cable (black) to the left side of the gauge panel, also securing it with the double-sided foam tape. this is possible as its out of sight, down on the bottom of the gauge panel. then i notched out a small 'U-shaped' section of the lower, left part of the gauge pod. when you put the glass on the top, it makes the U into a square, making a nice little hole for the cable.

be careful not to smudge the gauges and throughly clean the inside of the glass before putting it back on.

i rounted the cable to below the dash and to the center console where its wired into the remote audio unit.

i replaced the ashtry with a black plastic panel from a 'project box' from radio shack. just trace the outline of the ash tray and cut the plastic to fit. there were two pre-existing counter-sunk screw holes on the project box plastic that i used to anchor the panel. you could also use velcro, etc...

i did have to cut away a small portion of the carpet that sits under the center console/ashtray area to make it deep enough for the V1 audio box.

i traced a general outline of the audio box onto the plastic, then slowly made it big enough - (but not too big - you want a tight fit) with a file. it is simply pressure fit into the panel and the bottom (back) of the box sits on the center hump under the console.

works like a charm. my hand falls easily to the audio controller as its just behind the shifter and i can check my alarm and speed nearly at the same time while getting very good peripheral signals too. i never touch the unit on the windshield as its wired to a keyed 12v lead. its also always dark in order to not tip off any other drivers around me.

hopefully i haven't glossed over this too quickly - let me know your questions....i think its one of the best mods i've done....

Old 07-23-2003, 09:40 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

my 'glass' that covers the gauges came right off
Brain, a few questions:

You did or did not have to remove the actual gauge cluster?
The glass just comes off? and goes back on OK?

Awesome job!
Thanks for getting the pic's up.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:46 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

i did NOT remove the actual gauge cluster. my glass just came off the front. its notched and goes back on just fine. i actually had it off this past wknd as i had a squeak in the center a/c vents that was driving me nuts - just pulled the front of the glass off again to ck on the stability of the V1 display - no probs and i just hit 108,000 (you can see in the pic that i had 87k when i put it in....
i am NOT SURE that everyones glass is the same, but i wouldn't see why not...
Old 07-23-2003, 09:52 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Brian,

Got it! Thanks again, I guess I know what my plans are after work now
Old 07-23-2003, 10:05 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

just go slow and be patient! if you're only putting in the visual display you can then just control it from the main unit on the windshield. no sweat. lemme know if i can help!!
Old 07-23-2003, 02:11 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Brian,

Ok, so I did it, pictures to be posted shortly.
2 Questions

1) If I attach the remote sound as you did, does the main unit still have sound?
2) Did it have any effect on your instrument lighting? I guess I will find that out for myself tonight.

T'anks!
Old 07-23-2003, 02:23 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default good work!!

glad it worked out.
two answers:
yes - i have audio on the main unit AND in the remote audio box. i think its great. usually, i have the main unit turned all the way down (both main vol and the 'mute' vol). the volume out of the remote box is plenty for me - i DO turn up the main volume if i'm cranking some tunes and/or reallly trying to make some time (wink, wink) so that i don't miss an alert!

no - shouldn't affect the lighting too much if at all - if you're being picky, you might notice a small shadow that the box will cast, but its very very minimal in my book.

will be great to see your pics!
Old 07-23-2003, 02:29 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Before (This is a good spot as well)

After

[/IMG]
Old 07-23-2003, 02:32 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Brian,

Thanks for all your help, very cool!
Plan to order the remote sound as well.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:32 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

yes! i'm assuming your glass just pulled off like mine?
you'll like the remote audio - it'll give you the same button functions as the button on the main unit - you'll never have to reach up again! one other place you could temporarily put the audio module would be velcro'd on the side of the center console - right next to your hip....or where ever you hand happens to fall. just a thought!
Old 07-23-2003, 02:40 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

My glass was on pretty good, I "gently" pried it off. When I replaced it I used a few dabs of glue. It was a really easy job!

I may do what you did with the remote display OR was thinking about seeing how creative I can get if I take it apart, maybe mount the **** in one of those switch blanks in front of the shifter.

Maybe you can make a template of the ashtray replacment?

Last edited by Marc Gelefsky; 07-23-2003 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:55 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

yeah - i've looked at that, too - the switch/**** is pretty unique - its got a long shaft on it, too, but keep us posted!!

Quick Reply: Valentine 1 Concealed Display