Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help diagnose under car noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I let the car warm up completely while listening to the sound this time. I didn't before because I was under the car and it would have been a little too close for comfort.

Anyway I noticed that once it was warmed up the sound could be made to go away with a little blip of the throttle. However if I goosed it pretty good I could make the sound come back. But I still can't pinpoint the location. It seems like it's everywhere at once and I still don't smell exhaust under the car
Old 12-16-2013, 11:35 PM
83 944
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

first video sounds like cracked header common on 2 and 3. and the second video sounds like Speed and reference sensor on the flywheel pressure plate. you can smoke test the exhaust system of have a piece of paper under there if its present it will show.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Okay another update. It seems if I take a wooden dowel and put it to the crossover pipe that goes from the exhaust headers under the oil pan up to the turbo I hear clattering and ticking sound coming from that. Not as loud as just the sound without the dowel, but it is the only component I've been able to get a sound from. Like something is loose inside the pipe or maybe a crack, though I can't seem to find one. I can't seem to find anything apparently wrong on the outside of the pipe. But if I hit it with a mallet it does seem to have a buzzing rattle to it.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Last Lemming; 12-18-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:11 AM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Last Lemming
Okay another update. It seems if I take a wooden dowel and put it to the crossover pipe that goes from the exhaust headers under the oil pan up to the turbo I hear clattering and ticking sound coming from that. Not as loud as just the sound without the dowel, but it is the only component I've been able to get a sound from. Like something is loose inside the pipe or maybe a crack, though I can't seem to find one. I can't seem to find anything apparently wrong on the outside of the pipe. But if I hit it with a mallet it does seem to have a buzzing rattle to it.

Any thoughts?
Downpipe inner wall caving in? Catalyst broken up? Cracked headers? Take a peak inside the cat.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mangonesailor
Downpipe inner wall caving in? Catalyst broken up? Cracked headers? Take a peak inside the cat.
My cat is new, but the cat isn't connected to the crossover pipe. Otherwise the crossover pipe looks in good shape externally, no rust or dents.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Ok I tried the soapy water and as expected it just boiled off (and on to my arm - ouch!) and I saw nothing to indicate a leak.

I stuck my trusty wooden dowel stethoscope on the turbo flange, exhaust off the turbo, the headers, the oil pan and heard nothing out of the ordinary. But once I put the dowel on the crossover pipe collector I hear the the ticking sound you hear in the video albeit less pronounced through the dowel. I do not see or feel any leaks in this area. The sound is also apparent across the length of the crossover pipe after the collector, but seems loudest at the collector. The collector is near the wastegate but when I put the dowel up to that the sound seems less pronounced than on the pipe itself. This could be due to the much thicker steel of the wastegate. Could it be the wategate making the sound? How would I check this?

I also put the dowel on the bell hosing but I don't hear anything, nor does pressing the clutch do anything to change the sound either. So at this point I. Stumped and don't know what to do next other than take it in and pay to diagnose it unless someone can give me some other things to check or test.

Last edited by Last Lemming; 12-18-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Help diagnose under car noise