Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seating position RE: steering wheel (EARLY)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013 | 08:07 PM
Alpineace
Pro

Default seating position RE: steering wheel (EARLY)

Hey guys, on the early dash, what is your position? I know its relative but I feel like if I set the seat the way I like it, relatively upright, ( for reference, my head hits the end of the sunroof air deflector(broke/ hanging down) Then i have to put the seat almost all the way back. (unless there is some junk on the rails that stops it from moving further back).
Im 6ft, with a 32 inseam(add an inch with shoes), size 12.5 shoes.
With that position my knees still hit the steering wheel. (but I have to fully extend my leg to bottom the clutch pedal) (And does anyone ever really push the clutch ALL the way in??)

SO, I intend to get a smaller steering wheel, preferably with a flat bottom. But with this position I feel like I want the steering wheel about an inch further back.

any one else do or feel the same??

(and do you always have to practically fall out of the car to exit?)
Old 12-09-2013 | 11:05 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

i am 6'6" and my knees don't touch the wheel unless i am flailing my arms around like a madman.

i also have a slightly larger-than-stock diameter steering wheel.

i sit with the seat slid all the way back but still fairly upright and it is cozy.

getting in/out is easy (years of practice) but the damn e-brake lever gets in the way every time if i have long pants.
Old 12-09-2013 | 11:52 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Small diameter wheel + quick release hub FTW! The steering wheel being smaller obviously helps, and the quick release hub pushes the steering wheel another inch or so outward, so works out well. I'm 6'1" here, sit pretty comfortably. I absolutely love having a quick release racing hub, 1) because racecar and 2) 10000x easier to get in and out.

Agreed on the Ebrake being a PITA.
Old 12-10-2013 | 08:15 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

I have recaro seats fitted to stock rails and they sit a bit lower than the stock seats. Works well for me.
Old 12-10-2013 | 10:49 AM
kcoyle
Advanced

I'm kinda short so I have the seat forward a bit and my leg hit the wheel on occasion. It's just low I guess.

Originally Posted by Alpineace
(and do you always have to practically fall out of the car to exit?)
Pretty much. I have a system where I swing the door open kinda hard and let the momentum pull me out.
Old 12-10-2013 | 12:05 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

For what its worth, I have a really nice black steering wheel from an early car. Will fit others. Its the somewhat rare M018 option code - SPORTS STEERING WHEEL WITH ELIVATED 30 MM HUB

asking $125.... Pm if interested.
Old 12-10-2013 | 12:24 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

I have a Momo wheel that's extended out a bit.. I want to say 30mm? But I've never measured. I never hit my knees on it, but I do with the stock wheel (larger diameter). Stock seats and rails.

I'm 6'2" and wear a size 12, and this car fits me like a glove. I haven no problems at all with pedal reach, although I have a custom throttle pedal which might help. PO who put it on was also a tall guy.

Name:  qUemItk.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  680.5 KB
Old 12-10-2013 | 12:37 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

I'm 6'4" and the stock wheel was a bit tight on my leg between the wheel and the center console. I did the logical thing and tore the center console out. Now I have plenty of room. Who needs a stereo, AC/heat controls, and a cigarette lighter anyways?

I have some garbage rice-burner "race" seats that the PO put in that are probably a bit higher than stock. I'm practically laying down I have them so far tilted back so I don't hit my head. Those will be replaced shortly.

I would like to get a smaller wheel still though for even more space. After having no power steering in my '70 Landcruiser turning 35" tires (a workout in parking lots!) I'm sure turning the Porches tiny donuts with a smaller steering wheel will be no issue.
Old 12-10-2013 | 07:03 PM
Alpineace
Pro

Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese
I'm 6'4" and the stock wheel was a bit tight on my leg between the wheel and the center console. I did the logical thing and tore the center console out. Now I have plenty of room. Who needs a stereo, AC/heat controls, and a cigarette lighter anyways?

I have some garbage rice-burner "race" seats that the PO put in that are probably a bit higher than stock. I'm practically laying down I have them so far tilted back so I don't hit my head. Those will be replaced shortly.

I would like to get a smaller wheel still though for even more space. After having no power steering in my '70 Landcruiser turning 35" tires (a workout in parking lots!) I'm sure turning the Porches tiny donuts with a smaller steering wheel will be no issue.

with a smaller wheel you can keep the center console
Old 12-10-2013 | 07:04 PM
Alpineace
Pro

whats the stock wheel diameter?
Old 12-10-2013 | 07:06 PM
Alpineace
Pro

and does any one fully bottom the clutch pedal? or is it adjustable? Im good with the gas and brake, but would have to stretch to bottom the clutch, or else id have to move the seat on notch up which id rather not do.
Old 12-10-2013 | 07:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alpineace
and does any one fully bottom the clutch pedal? or is it adjustable? Im good with the gas and brake, but would have to stretch to bottom the clutch, or else id have to move the seat on notch up which id rather not do.
i just about bottom it out, dont really have to but it seems to help on really cold mornings to get the trans into gear (old tired synchros)

once warmed up though you can shift by moving the clutch pedal almost not at all

Quick Reply: seating position RE: steering wheel (EARLY)