Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autozone Rack

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 05:14 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bonus12
Good luck and please post more when you find out. For the good of the community!! And because I need a new rack soon.
Well, I can tell you, I wouldn't pass go with autozone. Go to ebay and get this part: 80-00445

$224 dollars on sale right now on ebay and about 60 or 80 cheaper than even on carsteering.com. Free shipping on ebay, even for the core. So don't buy it off their web site.

They are listed on carsteering.com as "short" racks, meaning they do not include the inner tie rods. They will verify this even if you call them. BUT, they have a screwup in their part numbers. Despite the fact that they claim they do not have inner tie rods, they actually do. They will even send you a confirmation email that says 80-00445 S (S, for short rack). What I actually got was a 80-00445 L. Said it right on the box.

The screwup in their part numbers is that they list 2 racks for my '86, both short racks. One is higher priced than the other, but both appear to be the same. They aren't. The 80-00445 is a long rack.

The rebuild quality, on appearance, blows away the autozone one. It is painted grey, but the paint was added before all of the other stuff, so it looks much better. In addition, the rack has a new equalizer tube, nice seals, and was much better cared for overall. I haven't put it on yet, so I have to reserve judgment, but damn, it really looks good.

Edit for pic:

Name:  DSzAw5y.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  694.1 KB

Last edited by OnlineAlias; 12-11-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For the record, I am running inner tie rods from Jorgen automotive. I paid something like 60 dollars shipped for the pair, and they have the correct flange to notch or dovetail into the rack like stock. The company is really popular with the bmw guys. initially they sent me the wrong parts, but were extremely helpful over the phone and overnighted me the correct ones the next day. Awesome customer service and nice parts, and I RARELY say that about any vendor.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:23 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
For the record, I am running inner tie rods from Jorgen automotive. I paid something like 60 dollars shipped for the pair, and they have the correct flange to notch or dovetail into the rack like stock. The company is really popular with the bmw guys. initially they sent me the wrong parts, but were extremely helpful over the phone and overnighted me the correct ones the next day. Awesome customer service and nice parts, and I RARELY say that about any vendor.
That's good to know, the only ones I was able to source were the LEMFOERDER ones, and the prices seemed to hold around $70 each.

Quick Reply: Autozone Rack