Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is enough - coolant bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 02:27 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First things first.... Does the system hold pressure when a pressure test cap is put on and the system is pressurized? If it doesn't everything else is moot.

Second of all, who thinks fans are going to cool as well when the car is stationary as they do when they are moving down the road? It ain't gonna happen.

Consider a 10* rise in temp a miracle and move on. Have you seen how high temps rise on a 911 when it's sitting still?
Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
First things first.... Does the system hold pressure when a pressure test cap is put on and the system is pressurized? If it doesn't everything else is moot.

Second of all, who thinks fans are going to cool as well when the car is stationary as they do when they are moving down the road? It ain't gonna happen.

Consider a 10* rise in temp a miracle and move on. Have you seen how high temps rise on a 911 when it's sitting still?
I pressue tested it and it does hold pressure.
I want to believe the temp is fine but I hear so many talk about how their temp drops when the fans kick on.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

I'm beginning to wonder if my gauge is accurate. Today I drove the car for 30 minutes and the high fan kicked on right at the second white tick mark.

My understanding is the second white tick mark is 100°C but my Thermo fan switch is set to turn on at 93°C.

When the hi fan kicks on the needle drops about 1 mm in 1 to 2 minutes this seems a little slow. I did notice that while I was driving that as the RPMs increased say between 2000 and 3000 RPM the temperature would drop correspondingly. Meaning the more rpm I threw at it the more the temperature dropped. It seems like almost there is blockage in the system somewhere but I cannot find any, unless it's a stuck thermostat, otherwise it may be my temperature sending unit is going bad or there is a bad ground. Can someone post a picture of exactly where the ground on top of the bell housing is located I cannot seem to find it with a flashlight.

Edit. Ok found the grounds. They didn't look bad at all but I broke the bolts loose and retightened just to see if that has an effect.

Last edited by Last Lemming; 11-29-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:21 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by amber lamps
First things first.... Does the system hold pressure when a pressure test cap is put on and the system is pressurized? If it doesn't everything else
Ok the more I thought about when I pressure tested my system I don't think I left it on there long enough. So I rented another tester, pumped it up to 13 psi, left for 30 min and when I came back I had two small leaks. Pis dropped only 1-2 psi but one hose was leaking and I think the other is coming from the turbo pump. See vid below. I've ordered another pump to be safe

Old 11-29-2013, 11:39 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Last Lemming
Pis dropped only 1-2 psi but one hose was leaking and I think the other is coming from the turbo pump.
Which hose was leaking...punctured, split, or hose clamp?

If you have a hose leak, as the system cools down, it's certainly possible to draw air into the system.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Which hose was leaking...punctured, split, or hose clamp?

If you have a hose leak, as the system cools down, it's certainly possible to draw air into the system.
It was a clamp. It was a very small leak. Even under 13 psi it was on dripping a drop of fluid every 30 seconds. It never left a puddle or any signs under the car under normal driving conditions and I never noticed any loss of fluid.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:20 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Last Lemming
It was a clamp. It was a very small leak. Even under 13 psi it was on dripping a drop of fluid every 30 seconds. It never left a puddle or any signs under the car under normal driving conditions and I never noticed any loss of fluid.
Sounds like your cooling system is in pretty good shape.

Have you tried to bleed the system, again?
Old 12-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Sounds like your cooling system is in pretty good shape.

Have you tried to bleed the system, again?
Not yet. I've got it apart waiting for a turbo coolant pump. So I'll have to need it again after that.

Quick Reply: How much is enough - coolant bleeding