Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumbest question of the year possibly, Whats your technique to launch the car???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 04:36 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Handbrake, ebrake, parking brake. All the same to us.
My point was that in normal starts you (I) don't use the handbrake. In fact rarely.

So, You fish... Do you Golf too? Any trips to "The Open" to watch the big guys play? Someday.. Someday...
Old 07-19-2003, 05:44 PM
Bruce '89 s2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope to the golf - no time (or, to be honest, inclination) - fish yes - that's why I bought this place with its 200 acre loch (lake) - the Motel was secondary.
Must admit to watching the golf on the telly though - like all things - when you see the pro's doing it it looks SO easy.
We could ALL pretend to be a Schumacher and I'll certainly be watching Silverstone tomorrow. With two guys from the same family in the top five it CAN'T be that hard - if only.
Bruce.
OOoops, oh yes, the handbrake. If it's not applied at each stop on the three-point-turn or at any time when stationary during your UK driving test - you fail!!!! And then there's mirrors and ......but let's not get into that.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:36 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Bruce,
"The Alt Motel" looks real cool.. Really cool

Waking up to that every morning is rare is this world. You're a lucky man.

Interesting about the handbrake. Are there a lot of hills in your country or other things that would cause the car to roll at a stop? It would take me twice as long if I had to use the handbrake at every stop. Takes 2 hands to release it.

Golf: I love surprise finishes...
Old 07-20-2003, 03:13 PM
soundboy4
Racer

"launching" the car many times at a 1/4 strip cost me $1000+ in a new clutch. N/A 944 had 130k on stock clutch too though... anywho, now it's autocross for me!
Old 07-20-2003, 04:35 PM
Bruce '89 s2
Racer

Well now, if I'm going to be absolutely honest - and I hope no ex-pupils read this, with the S2 I use the hand brake about 12 times a year.
You're right! It takes two hands to make it work and two hands to get it off again. I even park it in gear.

A case of "Do as I say, not do as I do". Certainly now - with no one watching.

I assume, over the years, the handbrake cables have lost their 'stretch' and without that elasticity you might as well have rod operated h/brake connections. I've always assumed this was just my car with its high mileage - is there someone out there with a REALLY low mileage car with a decent h/brake.???? Or someone who's just replaced their cables perhaps?

As for the golf - isn't that every golfers dream? The bookies over here didn't even quote him.

And as for Silverstone - the shoemaker came where he deserved and Barrichello more than earned his win. Now he's such a nice guy - none of that Deutche arrogance.
Bruce
And yes, thanks DanD, this is God's country - but if the wind drops it's purgatory with the midges.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:21 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by Bruce '89 s2
For the 16 years prior to my moving back to Scotland to “Retire”, build and run the Motel here, my daily bread was earned as a Department of Transport Approved Driving Instructor (ADI #25456) so I’m probably qualified more than most to put in my two pennyworth about smooth starts – the other “Rubber Burning Transmission Destroying” type of start has been ably described by the people with LOTS of money to spare for replacement parts. Not saying I haven’t done it – just that one doesn’t need to.

A Normal Start. (For the complete beginner or someone new to a stick shift)
(a) Rev’s steady at 1,200 to 1.300
(b) Bring clutch to the ‘biting point’ and feel it bite – the revs will die slightly and the font of the car may rise slightly
(c) Simultaneously releasing the handbrake
(d) Release remainder of clutch travel smoooothly (If a complete beginner at this point you count up to six as you come off the remainder of the pedal travel)..
In addition of course, at “b” above you check all mirrors and turn head to visually check any blind spots not covered by the mirrors.

With practise this will become totally automatic taking no more than a couple of seconds and won’t even be thought about unless driving a strange car when one must get a “feel” for the controls. As we all know some clutches are SMOOTH and some can be VERY sudden.

There you go - that’s my two pennyworth. Off with ADI hat and back on with fly covered fishing hat.

Bruce
Wow, I looked at the web page for your motel... it looks like a really special place.

How long do most guests stay at your motel?

Maybe this is a silly question... is there any boating/canoeing on the loch - or would this ruin the fishing?

-Kevin
Old 07-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Bruce '89 s2
Racer

Hi Kevin,
I generally take a shotgun to canoeists, unless they ask first or are staying here.
Most people stay a week or two for the fishing or hillwalking although we do do Bed & Breakfast for the passing tourists. (Mainly continentals but quite a few Americans – although a lot less since 9/11)

Had to answer your question but I DO feel I’ve taken-over this post more than somewhat now. This isn’t an advertising forum and that is not my intention. Merely to put the professional, if long winded, version to the correct movement of a vehicle from stationary to motion in answer to Kelly Chui’s original post.
I would be interested if there’s another official instructor from your side of the pond would like to add anything. I do know (before you jump on me) that I hadn’t mentioned signalling prior to moving off but it was the clutch bit I was responding to.
Bruce

Quick Reply: Dumbest question of the year possibly, Whats your technique to launch the car???