Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog lights and headlights exclusive operation modification

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:15 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Fog lights and driving lights are different. Fog lights cast a rather wide, low beam that puts light on the road surface directly in front of the car and under the fog. Driving lights cast a longer narrower beam down the road to improve overall distance visibility.

I have the Euro fog/driving light combination in my 951. I do drive regularly on back country roads where the driving lights in conjunction with the high beams, which is how they are supposed to operate, make for exceptional down range visibility.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:56 PM
Parawhore
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by catamount
Fog lights and driving lights are different. Fog lights cast a rather wide, low beam that puts light on the road surface directly in front of the car and under the fog. Driving lights cast a longer narrower beam down the road to improve overall distance visibility.
Bingo. Fog lights are rather dim to look directly at when compared to driving lights. Driving lights are essentially what you see bolted to the front of rally cars and are VERY bright to look at. Almost as bright if not brighter than high beams.

On almost ALL modern vehicles when you flip the high beams on the fogs will shut off. That being said both my early N/As fog lights stay on when the high beams are on. Not sure about the setup on the Turbo/S2 however.

I know in Ontario it's illegal to have more than four forward facing lights. All others must be covered. Kind of a silly rule.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:36 PM
mikec944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Parawhore
Bingo. Fog lights are rather dim to look directly at when compared to driving lights. Driving lights are essentially what you see bolted to the front of rally cars and are VERY bright to look at. Almost as bright if not brighter than high beams.

On almost ALL modern vehicles when you flip the high beams on the fogs will shut off. That being said both my early N/As fog lights stay on when the high beams are on. Not sure about the setup on the Turbo/S2 however.

I know in Ontario it's illegal to have more than four forward facing lights. All others must be covered. Kind of a silly rule.

Most (all?) places its illegal to have the highs on with fogs. It is definitely a silly rule. You have to turn the high beams off when a car is coming towards you anyways which is when the fogs come back on. So if they stay on with the high beams, I don't see the problem. I wonder if anyone in the history of that law has ever been ticketed for having highs and fogs on at the same time.

Also, I understand that the idea is that the fogs are low on the vehicle to get under the fog, but never have I been in a car during foggy conditions, turned on the fogs and said "Wow…that's SO much better!"

Euro driving lights are on my list of things to buy, but at the price they're going for, they're at the bottom of the list.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:05 AM
Parawhore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikec944
Also, I understand that the idea is that the fogs are low on the vehicle to get under the fog, but never have I been in a car during foggy conditions, turned on the fogs and said "Wow…that's SO much better!"
I've never noticed a huge difference with the fogs on my 944. I live in the country and they do help to illuminate the ditches beside the car quite a bit. The Civic's fog lights are quite bright and do help in fog a bit. But they're the much brighter H11 style bulbs.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:40 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Here's a really good thread on this topic. Thread covers making euro style fog/driving lights from USA fog only lights and then wiring up with a multitude of options. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...onversion.html
Old 11-25-2013, 10:48 PM
bumflick
Racer

That is a hell of a write up. I know what I will be doing over thanksgiving break.

Quick Reply: Fog lights and headlights exclusive operation modification